G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So Wally Wurld had this New Bright "Gold Rush" set on clearance today. Kim wanted some additional plastic track for her great niece's train, so I bought it, figuring I could maybe at least kitbash the cars into something useable..... WRONG! The locos were never much. but the 4-4-0 has a completely rigid wheelbase and NO flanges on the rear pony truck wheelset or front driver. The cars USED to have crappy trucks but at least they swiveled. Not any more! The trucks sides are now cast in one piece with the underbody, and the wheelsets just slop side to side to go around the curves. Also, the spaces between the boards on the roofwalks on the caboose are open -- clear into the interior of the car.... On the UP side, there was a large oval of their crappy track

IMO If you're looking primarily for bashing fodder, just forget it, even at $25 -- This POS isn't worth $10

·
Premium Member
5,623 Posts
Another piece of junk from China. And that is what the world comes from. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Depends how creative you are, I've been looking for one of these...to build a 4-2-0 CNW Pioneer model

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vic, Do you want just the loco? How about $5 plus whatever it costs to ship it. I'm TRYING to rework the tender for behind my daughter's Stainz

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Oh, I don't know, Mik. I just bought one of these today, and it's not THAT bad. It's a toy, plain and simple, but it's kinda nice to watch go around in circles. It's nice being able to watch the cats play with the train without worrying about them damaging something expensive.

As soon as I get the pictures downloaded, I'll post a photo of a quick and dirty project involving the caboose from the set. It's hardly museum quality, but it's hardly museum level effort or expense, either.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
As promised...

·
Premium Member
759 Posts

·
Vendor
3,322 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By Mik on 12/21/2008 7:48 AM
Vic, Do you want just the loco? How about $5 plus whatever it costs to ship it. I'm TRYING to rework the tender for behind my daughter's Stainz

Sure - send me a PM, I'll send you my address.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Posted By dana on 12/21/2008 8:28 PM
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/12/18/train-picks-up-and-drops-passengers-without-stopping/

I wonder how many of these idea's in mags like modern mechanics back then and now were and are ways of getting more funding from the intrested public

Hahahahahaha! It is no wonder that the idea never got off the ground. It does not eliminate the requirement of a station, nor does it eliminate the process of boarding a fixed railcar. Certainly adds risk (in the event of malfunctions) and expense though.

-Kurt

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Certainly adds risk

That's putting it mildly - anything goes wrong and you've got a lot of passengers at risk. Suppose the cars don't disengage properly, suppose . .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts