G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my first bunch of Kadee # 1 1789's with the new metal knuckle. I knew this was coming about a year and a half ago. Not quite sure why they have changed to metal except that I think there were some complaints from those who live in hot climates that the plastic knuckle would distort in high heat with a heavy train. They seem to operate just as smooth as the old ones.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doug,
The only difference in looks is that the knuckle has a dull color to it. The rest of the coupler is still the same,only the knuckle is metal.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't see them on the website either. I think it is just a product upgrade and as old stock runs out these will replace them. The packaging label is different too. Could be that all new production will have the new package look. I'm making a guess that all #1 couplers will get the metal knuckle. I don't remember if they are going to change the G size or not.

·
Super Modulator
21,236 Posts
All packaging has changed, that's on their web site, cuts costs.

I heard that they were going to phase in the metal knuckles in #1 as they depleted stock.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
The last batch of 820s I got about 6 months ago have all got the metal knuckles... I've used 5 or 6 sets
so far and they seem to work the same as the plastic ones....
Paul R...

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Phil,
I really can't say I've noticed any difference at all between plastic or metal types, either operationally
or soundwise, but with the sound systems blasting away, I wouldn't be able to hear the difference
anyway... The metal ones seem to work quite well, but the plastic ones were fine by me though,
I did manage break the knuckle of an 820 several years back, but thats the only one in 18 years of
using the #1 couplers... Never broke any of old #5s I used in HO for 35 years before that... hehe
Paul R...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts