G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all. My name is Phil Nymark and I wanted to post an introduction. My profile says I joined nine days ago but my photo tells me I joined a number of years ago. I thought I was a member from around 2016 but it doesn't matter so much. I had been involved with HO and N scale for many years and decided it would be really fun to have a RR outside since that's where I spend most of my free time. I have five engines, all Bachmann steam. I started with a three truck Shay and then got a Climax. At the beginning of this year, I bought a Connie and then a C-19. Finally, I bought a new
4-6-0 which is saved for Christmas. Also recently, I upgraded to an NCE PH-10R which is also in its box, saved for Christmas. I have been collecting track for many years and have had a couple of configurations but nothing to run on at the time. I do have a plan though, and have been getting the area ready to put some track down soon. The addition of a dog has made matters a bit more tricky but she's a smart animal and can be worked with. Anyhow, I very much appreciate all the information I get from this site and will be checking in from time to time.
Happy rails,
Phil Nymark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Phil!

I seem to remember your name.

I have some helpful hints on the NCE system on my site if you are new to the NCE (and even if you are not).

Greg
Hi Greg,
I will be checking in to your site and have learned a lot there over the years. I bought a "Meanwell" to power up the NCE but need to double check if it is the right one or not as I have had it for quite a while. I am really looking forward to the wireless upgrade of the NCE!
Many thanks,
Phil

·
Super Modulator
21,560 Posts
The NCE has about a 3 volt overhead. I recommended a 27 volt input since I had my boosters modified to put out 24v.

Stock they will put out about 21 volts, so anything over 25 volts does not do anything.

I would also limit the source supply to close to 10 amps, since the NCE will put out over 10 amps for quite a while, but it wears on the components and design.

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The NCE has about a 3 volt overhead. I recommended a 27 volt input since I had my boosters modified to put out 24v.

Stock they will put out about 21 volts, so anything over 25 volts does not do anything.

I would also limit the source supply to close to 10 amps, since the NCE will put out over 10 amps for quite a while, but it wears on the components and design.

Greg
Just looked at my Meanwell and it's 13 amps and 24 volts. I think the amps are adjustable, maybe(?). I vowed to get better at understanding electrical stuff but am still in the shade in this regard.
Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts