G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to introduce myself, my name is Paul and I live in Cecil County, MD which is just south of the PA border. By trade I'm a landscaper, and I've actually posted on a couple of posts already on this forum. My wife and I were introduced to large scale when we bought a starter set for around the Christmas tree. Then we started going to garden RR open house tours, meeting new friends and now we are hooked.
Several good friends of ours are members of this site, and I kept hearing them talk about the wealth of knowledge to be had here, and they were right!
We are hoping to have a garden RR in the next couple of years, but for now my time is spent on kitbashing and scratch building cars. I'm actually taking my M.O.W. kitbash set to a good friends RR for his open house to run.
My main interest is in steam era locomotives. We love to visit steam RR's, and spend alot of time at the Strasburg RR. We also very much enjoyed the EBT narrow guage which helped me out with seeing first hand the scale and size of a narrow guage RR vs standard guage.
Right now, I model 1:20.3 & 1:22. I really like the rustic charm of narrow guage RR'ing, so that's what we are aiming for.

This is a great site, and I'm glad I'm now a part!

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Pleased to meet another steam nut!

I live in a motel, so I have to go to the Chicago Botanic for garden railroading ;)

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Welcome to MLS Paul! You might consider posting some of your bashes and scratches in the modeling forum. I for one would like to see some pics.

A lot of folks here also love the Narrow Gauge RR. I have a lot of the Rio Grande, including the newly released K-27 from Bachmann. I also have some of the AMS Narrow Gauge freight and passenger cars. I live where the old Rio Grande ran and feel fortunate to be able to visit sites where they still run for tours. There are also plenty of EBT nuts here too. Kevin Strong comes to mind, he does articles for Garden Railways.

·
Just another old guy
786 Posts
Hi Paul,

Welcome, if you don't find what your looking for in the forums or archives, or don't no where to start looking, just ask. Someone always has an answer.

Tommy:cool:
Rio Gracie

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Steamnutt on 04/16/2008 7:44 PM
Just to introduce myself, my name is Paul and I live in Cecil County, MD which is just south of the PA border. By trade I'm a landscaper, and I've actually posted on a couple of posts already on this forum. My wife and I were introduced to large scale when we bought a starter set for around the Christmas tree. Then we started going to garden RR open house tours, meeting new friends and now we are hooked.
Several good friends of ours are members of this site, and I kept hearing them talk about the wealth of knowledge to be had here, and they were right!
We are hoping to have a garden RR in the next couple of years, but for now my time is spent on kitbashing and scratch building cars. I'm actually taking my M.O.W. kitbash set to a good friends RR for his open house to run.
My main interest is in steam era locomotives. We love to visit steam RR's, and spend alot of time at the Strasburg RR. We also very much enjoyed the EBT narrow guage which helped me out with seeing first hand the scale and size of a narrow guage RR vs standard guage.
Right now, I model 1:20.3 & 1:22. I really like the rustic charm of narrow guage RR'ing, so that's what we are aiming for.
This is a great site, and I'm glad I'm now a part!
Paul

You WILL being going LIVE STEAM, won't you???? :D :cool: /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all very much for the warm welcome!
As for live steam, I spent ALOT of time at the live steam area at the York large scale show, and yes, I'd love to eventually get some live steam.

As for my kitbash set, hopefully I'll get some good shots during my friends open house next month, and I'll get them posted.

Thanks again!
Paul

G

·
Hi all/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

Art & Cooking are my hobby.
Hope I gain good knowledge here.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Pleased to meet you, Angela.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Welcome to MLS!

Paul, with landscaping as your trade and since you like kit bashing, a garden RR is a natural fit! Looking forward to seeing some of your work from your friends open house!

Angela, with a garden RR, the garden can be your source for fresh herbs and such! And with your art skills you be used to build some nice models, or design a layout.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello all,
We had a great time at the open house, and getting a chance to finally run our train as a set was great! Here are some pics that were taken during the day.

http://www.mdlsrs.com/RW_OH_5_10_08_p2.html

The train pulled by the Porter is my kitbashed set. I've been invited to run at another RR's open house the first weekend in June, so hopefully I'll have some other pics to post as well.

Hope you all enjoy the pics!

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts