G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've been lurking for a while, admiring both the cools toys that so many MLS people have, but also the impressive scratch building/kitbashing. I've joined the forum as my wife is 2.5 months pregnant, and it is my fatherly duty to provide the future kid with a large scale set for the Christmas tree.

When I was a little kid, my dad bought an LGB set for my brother and I...probably 1984. He also built a Don Winter gondola kit, built a semi-freelanced Colorado Central boxcar, and a nice bay windowed station. Therefore, I'll be taking my skills from On3 modeling to built...probably...a string of 23' colorado central flat cars...a station...and a few other items.

I've clearly seen that Fn3 modeling is a different beast than what I'm accustomed to in On3...both good and bad. So far I've priced out that 1 CC flat car's wood will cost me $20...using Kappler's scale lumber...and 3 would cost me a little less than $40...the decking being the largest percentage of the unit cost. I've developed the assumption that HLW is the cheapest source of decent wheels...and I'll be building my own trucks (something I already do in On3). The rest of the hardware will probably be mostly scratch built...as I build most of my own hardware in On3 already.

If the budget can afford it, I'll probably get an Indy and bash it into a CC Porter-Bell using the Masterclass info as a guide (those are some of the pretties engines I've ever seen...and so close to my primary interests). I'll also, probably, build a CC waycar...which is slightly different from the waycar Peter Bunce built. Lastly, depending on how things go...I'll build a model of a short CC coaches (3 or 4).

Long term (I'm 25...so long term is 30yrs down the road) I'd like to have a CC based garden railway...with the switchback...and a basement On3 layout from Gunnison to Hancock on the DSP&P.

Michael

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Kids and trains! You're getting your family off to a nice start.

Put some track outside by the patio or porch. That'll make for great family time with the Mrs and the baby outside, especially as he or she gets older, and little brothers or sisters come along ;)

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Welcome aboard, great thing about this hobby is that its something that tends to keep you centered around the house, something your wife will appreciate as time goes on...

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Welcome aboard, Michael!

Cheers,
Matt Hutson
M.P. 293 on the Baldwin Branch (by Rio Grande mileage, that is. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gee, Matt, the Baldwin Branch you say? Of course, in my time frame, I can make a case that it is the temporary end of track ;-) If I have enough space, I'd like model a little bit of that and the Crested Butte branch. I love the Almont D&RG station.

Torby, I'll be doing that some...but I won't be leaving it out there...I live in an urban neighborhood...so it might not be there when I go back out!

Michael

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Michael,
Aye, the Baldwin Branch. My east property line is the old right-of-way boundary. There used to be livestock loading pens here and a small siding called Wylie.

Cheers,
Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts