G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What g-scale magazines do you have a subscription to. And why? For me garden railroad. i like the articles and looking at the pictures of peoples layouts.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
While not specifically about garden railroading Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette is the primo model railroad magazine that I get. It covers all scales but many of the modeling techniques as well as the plans are very useable in any scale.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
How many other magazines are there, specifically for G gauge outdoor railroads?

I agree with Richard, the Gazette is top-notch, inspiring and applicable to all scales. Speaking of which, Bob Brown's getting up there in age, I wonder who will take over the Gazette after he passes? And can anyone else maintain its quality?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Ray,

You've nailed my biggest fear: I'm going to subscribe to NG as soon as the Eagle S*its. If Bob goes away, what's the mag going to be like? I have a number of back issues from the '90s.

I remember MR: the year I subscribed, after buying it on the news stand for a year, they started that d-d-dratted "Computerize Your Layout!" in the 80s. Twelve issues of what I saw all day at work. Sigh. I'd subscribe to it, but I'm snake-bit. What's your thoughts on MR, nowadays?

Just to be an annoying nitpicker, most of the stuff in NG is HOn3, isn't it? I'm doing 1:20.3, but as you said, the stuff in that magazine is doable in all scales. That's why I'm leaving GR and going to NGSLG. The construction articles and drawings are great.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Jerry,

Could you please expand on 'G1MRA' a bit? What is it, never heard of it? Pricey? How pricey?

Thanks,

Les

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I get 2 subscriptions, The Gazette and GR, I also pick up the Finescale Railroader quarterlies also, the UK publication Garden Rail when I can find it, the occasional Timber Times, and I just recently came across Narrow Gauge Down Under for those narrow gauge people down under.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By Les on 01/09/2009 1:38 PM

Just to be an annoying nitpicker, most of the stuff in NG is HOn3, isn't it? I'm doing 1:20.3, but as you said, the stuff in that magazine is doable in all scales. That's why I'm leaving GR and going to NGSLG. The construction articles and drawings are great.

Les

I've been reading thru alot of back issues, while HOn3 was a staple back in the day, seams lately I've seen alot more On30 and a good sampling of large scale, but On30 is rapidly becoming the most common narrow gauge out there. Overall Its a fairly balanced sampling, I've seen everything from Nn3 to 1:1.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Guys, although I share your concerns for Bob, last time I saw him--at the 2006 Garden Railway Convention--he and Irene looked pretty healthy. And he ain't that old, so I am hopeful that he'll be at it for a long time. After all, my styrene modeling hero, the late Al Armitage, lived to the high 80s, despite working around all those nasty paints and solvents. BTW, Al didn't let being a double amputee, slow him down (he lost both is legs in an accident as a railway brakeman).

Les, as for the modeling in Gazette being HOn3, yeah, there's a lot of it, but I believe it's because there's so many talented modelers in HO, which is the most popular scale. Gazette often features other scales--even F--now that Bob has himself a dandy outdoor layout to go with his fabulous indoor one, which is On3, I believe. And Gazette did have a two-issue feature (I believe) on that incredible, indoor F-scale layout that was on last year's Narrow Gauge Convention tour.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Vic:

If I ever do go away from F scale, O would be my last stop. (Old Guy Visual Syndrome). On30 is appealing to me, but I want to scratchbuild, and I'm just too danged old for fine work. (I'm an official Old Guy, having turned 65 the other day). OTOH, my first train was a Lionel turbine w operating accessories. So there's another pull.

The only reason I'd consider it is because of my limited indoor space: roughly 36 inches x 22 feet. I don't know how much longer I have as an active machinist--I don't hire out because already, I can't afford myself-- but I'm saving for a mill (from MM) and want to keep on so long as I can. That means, eventually, I'll run out of space.

And On30 has some really choicy stuff, OTC. Er, RTR.

Hadn't I invested so much in cheap junk in G, I might reconsider even now. Nah, I still like the challenges. OTOH... just buy it, plop it on the store-bought rails, and....

Cheers,

Les

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I have GR & NG&SLG delivered, pick up MR, MRC, & Unc Rus's books when they have something that is of interest to me. I like to model 1870s to 1920s, have a lot of back issues of the above.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
In the world of Large Scale, or closely related to LS, I subscribe to NG&SLG and regularly read "Garden Railways".

In other scales, I receive and read more magazines than I care to name--primarily related to my need to keep pretty well informed since I am the editor of a model railroading magazine devoted to O scale/gauge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts