G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Sure looks nice! I'd be interested in what you think of it after you have put it through some paces for a while. Is it "rigid" enough, strong enough, precise (repeatable settings) enough for small parts work?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Dwight, as I told ya on the phone, I think you are really going to be happy with that lathe. Did you get a 4 jaw with it, or any other accessories?

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Semper - From all I was able to glean while researching a new lathe, these are one of the better ones on the market in their size class. They are made in Germany (not China) and are very rigid, with precision ground ways on a heavy cast iron bed. The motor is very powerful and rugged, and they have a reputation for high precision. I bought the "inch" version as opposed to metric. For small work, I still have my Sherline CNC lathe. :)

Bob - he was out of stock on the 4-jaw independent chuck, but has ordered me one. I bought no other accessories with it, though I'm sure I will. The tailstock taper is the same as my Sherline, so hopefully the drill chuck ,live center, etc. I already have will work in both machines. At some point I'll pick up a steady rest.

Dave - after I finish #21, I want to build a Kozo 1" scale Climax. :) The unit cost me $3300.00 plus tax, but you get what you pay for, especially in machine tools, and if you get a good one, you only need to buy it once. hehehe

Tony - I've already been eying a quick-change tool post. LittleMachineShop.com has one that holds 4 tools for $134.00

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I'm jellous!! That is a really nice looking machine. I'll be looking forward to posts about the Climax.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't Bob. In fact, it's still in the back of my car. Too big and heavy for me to get out by myself. A few guys are coming over tomorrow and we'll get it out, uncrate it, and lift it onto the bench. I am in fact clearing off space for it right now. &nbsp :)

Winn - it'll be a while before that happens... at least a few months. I promised myself I'd finish #21 first before starting on the Climax. Whether or not I can keep that promise remains to be seen. hehehe

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Hope he's not turning "wood" with that...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dwight,

With respect to the Kozo Climax, you should contact Ed Hume. He's making a Gauge 1 version right now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edhume3/sets/72157600964223180/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edhume3/sets/72157604664938888/

Take care,

Barry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts