G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local walmart and got a good deal on the new brite trains - $29. Now I have a few more pieces of rolling stock for kitbashes. I plan on doing somethging with the tender and my porter. Possibly converting to battery. I want to do something with the box car. Possibly making it taller and more backwoods looking. Here is the set I picked up.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Have you noticed yet that the pilot truck doesnt pivot aound the corners???

$29 bucks aint bad ...

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Posted By vsmith on 12/01/2008 1:12 PM

$29 bucks aint bad ...

Ya I did, I first tried tried to put it on a curve and thought why wont it go on. Then while inspecting it I noticed it does not turn. I figure I let the kids play with the engine and kitbash the rest.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts

Considering one myself actually...

Remove the front driver, bash the pilot, make a new boiler, Muhahahaa!

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Mr Smith

Love that picture of the pioneer as that is the RR I first worked for. Even saw it after they rebuilt it and put it on tour. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 12/01/2008 1:12 PM

$29 bucks aint bad ...

Ung? I am holding in my formerly work-gnarled hands a New Bright Gold Rush with a pivoting front truck. And a back one, too. Perhaps mine's an older version, 'when they built them good'.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
OTOH, mine has six drivers.... and both trucks are two-wheelers. Hm. Probably not the same engine, ya think?

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Sorry for the multiple posts. It is 58 deg upstairs, here. I ordered a furnace Sunday. Been to a doctor and a wake today.

Vic, you've just solved my search for a civil-war era passenger coach pic that isn't all foggy and taken from half a mile away. Note the tender on that pioneer: it looks like a box on a flatbed. Now, do you happen to know what a two-axle passenger coach looked like? ca 1850?

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Snow,

Note the pic of the engine on the box. It's a 2-6-2. Your photo shows a 4-4-0.

That confused me, not a difficult thing to do.

Les, heading to bed.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hey Howdy,
That looks like some fun stuff to kitbash..I am looking forward to some pics of what you come up with.

Regards,
Zak

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's one of the fun parts of our hobby, taking a genuine "toy", and using it as the base to become something that really looks great on our RR's. Richard, nice job on the 4-4-0!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Posted By Les on 12/05/2008 7:18 PM
Snow,

Note the pic of the engine on the box. It's a 2-6-2. Your photo shows a 4-4-0.

That confused me, not a difficult thing to do.

Les, heading to bed.

Your right. I didnt even notice that. They are no doubt making them cheeper. Everything on the rolling stock is one mold. The ladders etc... are molded into the main cars. The old ones you were able to take off. Still worth it if you can get a good deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thats a pretty good conversion on the playmobil, hand i found that first i might have rethought the bachmann hauler conversion.. good work..
is that pretty muck all stock toy engine, painted up, with some details added?
cheers
jason

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 01 Dec 2008 04:02 PM

Considering one myself actually...

Considering? You mean you're only just now finding a use for that cheeser I sent you?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts