G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking to purchase a few from RLD Hobbies.

I noticed that there are the archbar, and TWO more modern trucks.

I'm familiar with the Bettendorf trucks, of course, but any ideas or comments on the use of the A-3 ride control trucks? They are 50 ton like the Bettendorf.

I cannot see a lot of difference in the model, although apparently this is an improved design over the Bettendorf's in the real world.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Greg,
While at the NMRA convention show in Portland about three weeks ago when I was looking at one of the Bettendorf trucks I was told by a guy at their booth that there will be rollerbearing trucks soon. Thats all I know about it. Maybe an e-mail to Kadee might clarify when.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Robby's site has pictures of the archbar and these other 2 that are so similar.

I cannot really see the difference.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Greg,
Those two Bettendorfs look the same to me. I hope the Kadee rollerbearing trucks have a decent price point. Have you seen what they are getting on Ebay for the aristo-Craft 29100 rollerbearing trucks? Hard to believe that people will cough up so much for them. Supply and demand I guess.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it is horrific! I have not looked at the prices for USAT roller bearing ones, have you used them very often?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
The only USA rollerbearing with rotating caps that I have are the ones that came on the modern cars like the tankers and 60' boxcars. All that I purchased in the past were Aristo. All my 50' cars have rollerbearing. Glad I did it when I did. I can remember getting them for around $21.00 per pair.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Theres is a common and prevalent problem in advertising in our life.

... one picture is worth a thousand words ...

... yet may not be the exact item being offered for sale...

Need to hold 'em in your Hot little hands to see differences!!

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
From Freight Cars of the '40s and '50s

"Introduced around 1940, the A-3 Ride Control truck from American Steel Foundries (ASF) didn't have a spring plank. The springs instead rested on a pedestal cast integral to the truck sideframe. This truck became the most popular solid-bearing truck into the 1960s."

"On early trucks, the springs rested on the spring plank, a C-shaped channel that ran between the sideframes. Modern trucks eliminated the spring plank (thus the term plankless is used to describe many trucks), and instead have the springs rest on a platform cast into each sideframe."

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
The only USA rollerbearing with rotating caps that I have are the ones that came on the modern cars like the tankers and 60' boxcars. All that I purchased in the past were Aristo. All my 50' cars have rollerbearing. Glad I did it when I did. I can remember getting them for around $21.00 per pair.
Same here as I bought up a lot of the ac trucks. Later RJD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts