G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The HA&RG RR ordered a new post-war K-4 today!:D  It should be here next week.    The Kay will be mostly used in fast passenger service.

Updates on progress to be posted here...

JimC.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Jim, as a long-time PRR "foamer"/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif, I'm considering getting one of these myself:cool:.  Let us know how you like it!:)

Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Jim,
 good choice, nice loco, give me a shout on my email i can give you a couple of tips on this loco before you put it on the track to make sure it's ok 
Nick....       /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not here yet..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2/13/08:  The Brown truck is supposed to arrive today.. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif      

Nick S, did you get my email?  Thanks to GregE. for all the good info he is providing about the K4 on his website.

JimC.

edited:  1:32PM ...THE K4 ARRIVED ! ! !    Unpacked it ... WOW!.   Lubed it per instructions.   Couldn't wait !   Took it out to inner loop [track power capable], gave the track a cursory rub with the sheet-rock-cleaner-on-a-stick [loop hasn't been used with track power since september], mostly to insure that debris wasn't on the track.  Placed the K-4,  hooked up the MRC 10A transformer, and..........
*to be continued with pictures later tonight. :D
JimC.

Sorry for the delay, but I have to get ready and go teach an evening class.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First a word about self-preservation:  This is not a good time of year to wear the good sneakers out to the layout and then come into the house.   Wifey amazingly develops the ability to lower her brow all the way down to her chin. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

I got the K4.  It was packed extremely well.  

The loco packing comes with a metal framed, wood bottomed carrier that it is held down to with packaging tape. 

The instructions that come with it detail lubrication points to be oiled prior to operation.  The detail all over this engine and tender are outstanding.  The finish is without flaw that I found.

Although I told GregE. that it would be several days before I tried to run it, I COULDN"T WAIT !  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif:D
The K4 was placed on the inner loop that is track power capable, a quick cleanup was done on the rails, the MRC 10A transformer was hooked up, and she ran. 

I had derails by the front truck, each of the first four loops made.  :mad:  However, they were at exactly the same spot.  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif  The spot was one of the few places on the layout that still use ballast fill roadbed, and it was on a curve that transitions downhill.  Some quick work on the roadbed and there were no more mishaps.

The K4 ran well, strong, and smooth.   The power load required was similiar to my LGB Mikado.  

I can't wait to put some sound and smoke in her.

JimC.

to be continued...

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Gorgeous Jim! What smoke unit are you adding? And if you can share the website with K4 info that would be great. What a beautiful locomotive - especailly for the money. Good luck with her.
Jordan

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Jim,
That head on shot is really striking.  Almost makes me want one!!  You could always take some more pics!  Maybe a video?
Mark

·
Super Modulator
20,514 Posts
The website is mine. it is in a "nested" order using the menu on the left.... TRAINS.... MOTIVE POWER....ACCUCRAFT/AML......K4.

Still a bit rough, since I just converted mine to DCC last weekend... need to polish up and put some more pix on it.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jordon,
The possibilities for a smoke unit are MTH, Aristo SD45, USA , and TAS.  I already have the Aristo and USA units.  I like what I have been reading about the TAS, but its a little expensive, considering how much I've already spent.  I'll let you know what happens.  I may try out the USA unit first.

Jerry, and Greg,
Thanks for the replies.  I am like a kid with a new toy!  

Mark,
I had planned on waiting until more pics could be taken outdoors.  Right now, the weather is not cooperating.  Do you want "table-top" pictures of detail?   No video will be made until smoke and sound are installed, unless you are just wanting video of the driver side-rod action taken from test rollers.

JimC.

G

·
0 Posts
Jim,
Sorry i have not replied to your email yet, i was just able to get online tonight. my internet has been down for the week, we got pounded here in NY with really bad wheather this week lost everything for a while but all is well now, anyway i will post a few photo's of what ive found with the k-4 this weekend, now that i can post pictures here. glad to see you got your loco, it's sweet loking isn't it.:D i'l tell you a quick story, i bought my two k-4's to repaint them for the NYC but when they arrived i just couldn't bring my self to strip them and repaint them cause they looked so nice. i cant stand the penn RR but i can't bring my self to repaint them so i did the next best thing, ive been saving all winter for a set of new chrome wheels for my harley, so i was thinking the bike is only 6 months old so the wheels that are on it are like new right...... so i took some of the cash today and ordered 2 more k-4 to repaint for the NYC.. I REALLY NEED TO CALM DOWN WITH ALL THIS TRAIN STUFF IT;S PUTTING ME IN THE POOR HOUSE....ha ha ha/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif    some one here had posted that trains are like a drug adiction once  your hooked it's tuff to stop buying GEEEZ  i think i need to go to rehab or something/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif
Nick

·
Super Modulator
20,514 Posts
Nick, if you are going to change your locos, like DCS or DCC or whatever, see my site on the K4, I pulled mine apart and it now has a QSI board in it.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Greg, Did you have to pull the boiler to isolate the motor leads??
Mine was wired direct from the track pickups to the motor and Aubins will argue that they're DCC ready.

Here's one that I sold smokin' under DCS..

G

·
0 Posts
Sweet, got to have it whitch MTH unit did you use CHUCK,,, /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Super Modulator
20,514 Posts
Chuck, I guess you did not go to my web site yet: click here for the K4 section notice that most sections have further sub-sections below on the menu on the right.

This has a detailed, step by step disassembly procedure.

You could avoid removing the boiler by removing the brushes from the first and third drivers, but you would still have the smoke unit, lights motor and 6v regulator connected inside.

Read my QSI install page and you will see how I broke all the different circuits apart and used all of the 12 pin connector.

This way, I could do any install in the tender without removing the boiler again. Also, I did not want to be dependent on the 6v regulator in the loco, since if I ever changed from LEDs to light bulbs, I'd still be limited to 6v.

Right now, I'm waiting on a TAS smoke unit, since I will hook up the "puff n chuff" input to the chuff cam in the loco.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Nick,

Instead of going through the process of stripping and relettering K4's, why not get another NYC Hudson (USA) and put the MTH stuff in that!  Seems like it'd fit better fit and you could have triple headed Hudsons instead of doubleheaded K4's in NYC paint.  Would NYC Paint even stick to a PRR loco, especially a K4?!

G

·
0 Posts
Mark,
 i came this close to doing that but with the new price of the hudsons and the new shipping rates from ups to ship it to Ray and back and to have DCS installed would be almost 2700.00 total cause of the weight. i was able to get 2 more k-4's for 650.00 each with shipping included so i thought it was a great deal. besides that i was looking thrue some NYC books and wouldn't you know it, the NYC accually had 3 k-4's so  i think i'll be ok  putting NYC on there, but trying to get that pennsy paint off will be a chore but i think we may do a paint over and a grungy/ super rusty paint job. to tell you the truth once these are done i think thats it in the engine department for me? i have far more stuff than i could ever run but who knows what will be comin down the pike next.
Nick:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 157 Posts