G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my new K-28 and am very pleased with it. It is serial number 146 of the second batch and it runs equally well in both directions right out of the box. I plan to install R/C and modify the suspension the way Llyn Rice did. Here is a video of the nearly hour long run pulling 5 Jackson and Sharp cars with newly installed ball bearing wheel kits from Phil's Narrow Gauge. Installation was an easy task and greatly improves rolling.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Carl,

It's always great fun to run a new steam engine for the first time. Each seems to have an individual personality to learn in order to get the best running results. So, now you have ample opportunity to run your new toy just to ensure that it's running right. You were lucky to time its arrival for good steaming weather. Mine came in the depths of a Vermont winter and I had to wait over three months for an opportunity to give it a serious workout. I have been making up for lost time.

Good luck with your final fitting out and modification program. I find that to be a big part of the fun working on live steam.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Great vid and great first run! I'll be putting a short movie of a double-headed train [K-27 and K-28] on youtube shortly. I took it over at mainline131's track on one of his steam open days.

The Accucraft Colorado locos may be the only game in town as far as mass-produced Fn3 live-steam is concerned, but for detail and value for money, they just can't be beat. My own K-27 is [I'm almost ashamed to admit] a sparkie. The steam version was just TOOOOOOOOO far out of my price-range here in UK.

I'll be installing some of PNG's BB wheelsets when my three cars turn up in the fall.

Best

tac

1 - 3 of 3 Posts