G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the group, and already I've had my confidence lifted enough to think I actually will get my railroad started next year. I, too, know or care nothing about gardening, but I bought my house five years ago not knowing that the original occupants were heavy into gardening, although the more recent owners let it all go. I'm slowly getting the place sufficiently neat and low-maintenance. I'll be semi-retired next year and will have time to get started on the railroad that will meander around the 3/4 acre lot.

The area outside my back door is above the rest of the back yard, so it seems right for a small patio and a decent size (hump?) yard. But in my mind's eye, it didn't seem right to have the yard tracks right on the ground. Thanks to a few postings I read just now, I realized that I simply need to build a big box to hold the yard area up a foot or two, and it'll be perfect! Nothing like sitting on the patio with a cold one in one hand, controller in the other, as I make up the consist for the next train out while I wonder if my RDC shouldn't be coming around the side of the house. That would be worth the effort.

To introduce myself, although in Rochester, NY, now, I grew up in Buffalo when it was second only to Chicago for train activity. Wish I had paid more attention back then. I spent a lot of time with basement HO layouts in my 30s and 40s and still have boxfuls of my HO engines, cars, buildings. They should help pay for that RDC, at least. I also have the American Flyer set my brother and I had as kids. That won't be paying for anything; it sits on the mantle at Christmas. (I place the engine a discreet eighth of an inch above the track so the original transformer can actually run the engine in place - chugging, smoke, etc.)

I recently downloaded XtrakCAD v.4.2 - it's totally free, open source - to help me design the "layout". It seems to be able to do just about everything except consider a "table" the size of my lot. But there should be a way around that. I suspect it'll take some time for me to really use it fully.

Good thing I found this site. Boy, have I got questions!

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Welcome to MLS Jack, I'm sure you'll find the family to be most helpful with all your questions, have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Jack, Welcome to MLS!
Thanks for the tip on XTrakCAD, I'm going to give it a go. This is definitely the place to get help on G scale. You have a head start with your HO and O scale days.

I think Ridge Road Station may be near you? Ridge Road Station If so it would be a great resource, I've have only good things to say about them.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Pleased to meet you!

Photos: We love photos. How 'bout some photos of your proposed location?

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Hi Jack,
welcome to MLS!
im in Rochester too, and we have a pretty active Garden Railroad community around here..
here are the webpages to two local clubs..

the Larger Garden RR Club, "Genesee G Gauge"
http://www.trainweb.org/gggrs/

and the smaller Live Steam club, "Upstate Steamers"
http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/upstatesteamers/

most (but not all) of the Live Steamers are also members of the GGGRS.
both club calendars need to be updated..I will try to get to that tonight.

The next GGGRS meeting is next week, August 6, at a club members home in Pittsford.
6:30PM
send me an email:

[email protected]

if you are interested in coming over, and I will give you directions..
we are a fun group!
visitors are always welcome..

Scot

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope you can figure out XtrkCAD faster than I am. I'm going to need to run the tutorial a few more times before I can do anything meaningful with it. Funny - I had the old free v. 3 and was ready to send my money to get the full version and found out v.4 is free. I should put that twenty bucks toward my first stainless steel track.

I stopped by Ridge Rd. Station a few months ago and was very impressed. I have to admit I've always connected with Despatch Junction, if only because I used to live in Fairport & Pittsford, but I know they don't carry a big selection of G, so I'm sure I'll be spending a fair amount of time at Ridge Rd.

I hope I can get this project started next summer, although the house needs new windows, so I'll have to start slow.

Regards,
jackm

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stood on the back stoop and swiveled around for this panoramic view. Ideas welcome!

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry - I should've know that wouldn't work. Guess I need to copy in the entire HTML code. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Lot extends to end of arbor vitae at right, about 25 feet from neighbor's garage. Yard will go in front (and right) of glut of Day Lilies and Peonies. Brown lines indicate proposed "box" to raise yard to a more desireable level for viewing, stooping and reaching. Patio will go in left foreground up to garage corner at left, removing weed flower bed. Foreground area is 12-18 inches above vast expanse of crabgrass, delineated by flower beds center and off to right. Lawn has steeper grade at left end of box (that's not a swale at left/center join, just creative photography). Squiggly white line is general path of track drawn freehand - my handwriting's never been any good, either.

I'm not sure how I'll get the main line to descend out of the yard box at a satisfactory grade. Main line will be a dogbone circumnavigating the house, not crossing the gravel driveway because I use a snow plow blade on the riding mower in winter. Track would be scooped up in no time!

Questions, comments and suggestions are welcome. Re-inventing the wheel is not my goal.

(Jack, I modified your HTML and got rid of your table, and simply used the image tag, additionally limiting the width to 213 pixels for each picture, max width allowed is 640 pixels in width.

Don't feel like you have to stay in the New Member Forum, if you feel comfortable doing it jump on up to any one of the other forums that your topic will fit into, you'll likely find that you'll get a better responce to your postings, SteveC mod. :D)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts