G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the NHGRS Thread! Discuss about anything you like and about whats going on in the club.

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
Congrats go out to our new president, Richard Jenkins! Also big thanks to Don Sweet, our past president (and founder?) for all of his work and enthusiasm.

Hope everyone has their snow equipment ready....I'm seeing nice soft, plow able snow out my window. If only I didn't have to work today!

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
For me, the show is just far enough away that I would have to rent a hotel for the weekend. I suppose it's different when we go down to York, PA because it is a large scale-only event. Perhaps there are enough members who live closer to Springfield now that we could consider having a display, but I think we are a ways off from wanting to bring down Big Green.

We do very well with the small local shows....they usual support a local cause or group...and they're much less stressful to attend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took my Aristo plow out for a spin on my temporary oval in my front yard. Was hard to push it with my ruby but i then took away the plow and ran the engine light, worked really well that way!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when is the nearest live steam meet? Would like to participate one next month if there is one.

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
I don't think there is anything scheduled for live steam until York, PA in the end of March...with Milford, NH shortly thereafter. There's usually a Manchester NH show, but I don't know if you can steam there. Come to the next meeting, you never know if someone might try to have an outdoor gathering. It can be tough this time of year due to iced track conditions....it's also hard to keep the butane flowing without warm water around the fuel tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont worry Manchester is the next town over from me so i most likely will attend the meeting! Yah i have learned about the butane flowing part every time i have steamed outside... takes 5 to 8 minutes untiill the pressure guage moves, i try to help by shaking the engine a little to get the fuel flowing but it still takes that long. Cant wait till warmer weather! So is the Evergreen at the Milford show?

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
Hi CN,
We haven't done evergreen at Milford the last couple years. The show is in April, so perhaps they might be more likely to set it up. It's kind of risk to leave it setup overnight outside...so that may be a factor.

Hi Todd,
Great to hear you're coming up with your modules! I have some family commitments that will likely keep me from bringing mine this year, but I hope to attend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh that stinks, at least theres the little green. Im heading to the Springfield show and i kinda wish i could bring my loco to steam up there but i dont think there is any large scale steam groups there.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Hi there,
I am down here in little Rhody, from looking around on line this looks to be about the closest club to me.
I have a fairly decent collection of trains and used to have a pretty nice outdoor layout but after getting divorced a few years back that took care of me having that!
Anyway, getting the itch to get back into it again and have found that the interest level in G-scale down here has really dried up.
The few local stores that used to have some G-scale in stock have either nothing, or the same old stock they had when I was buying stuff 7+ years ago!
Never messed with steam, just electric powered.
Would like to get out and see some trains run (including mine!) on a layout somewhere, maybe I can hook up with someone or catch a meeting some time.
And by the way....what the **** happened with the price on track!!? Good thing I salvaged mine after tearing apart my old layout.
Have fun,
Vinny

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
Hi Vinny,
Welcome back to large scale! I hope you can come up and join us for a meeting or even our big show at Milford, NH. We can easily cure you of your lack of live steam! (sparkies are more than welcome too) You would have a good chance at running your trains at Milford.

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
I think the track situation arose mainly from the increased price of copper and oil. Both materials, brass and plastic were affected, plus the oil cost of production and delivery. Combine that with the LGB collapse, perhaps resulting in a shortage of track...and an increase in demand of other brands.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
When is the show in Milford? is their a link/posting anywhere?
(still trying to navigate this site, why is it that when a new post is added to a topic it does not bump it to the top of the page?)

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Vinny, this has been a problem since the middle of November. We hope a solution is near..

Chuck

There are about five different threads about it.

Here is a link about the first thread, as you go through it you will find references to other threads.

chaos in the forums

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
Hi Vinny,
I believe the Milford show is the first weekend in April. I'm sure this will be confirmed at the next meeting.

Regarding the forum issue....I prefer to use the "My Topics" and "Active Topics" tabs/links found above the topic title.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can't wait for the meeting this Friday! Really looking forward to becoming a member and getting to know everyone.

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
Fyi. This Friday's meeting will be postponed due to the impending blizzard. I will try to post the new date here, if nobody else beats me to it. Stay safe and think spring!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts