G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -

I'm a reformed N and Z scale modeler just getting started in G scale with an indoor around-the-ceiling DCC layout.  My question is about crossing gates.  I've seen ones by Model Power and Lifelike but was wondering if someone else makes other ones that can be controlled by occupancy or block sensors. I did a search of the forums and didn't come up with anything.   Any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Congradulations on your reformation!

Can't help you much with crossing gates, but I know guys have them.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
VCS made the nicest and they were weatherproof.  Chuck is no longer in business, but you may find some on the "Bay."

Block occupancy is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.  See my post on cheap block sensors for any system.  If will be very simple to make this work for your purposes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you sir!  

Yes, it looks like detecting is not an issue - there are many options.  The problem seems to be that noone builds the crossing gates  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/angry.gif.

·
Premium Member
5,623 Posts
Mike welcome to the forum. As Tod Mentioned VCS had a very nice crossing system as I have one and been on my outdoor layout for over 4 years and still working. To bad they went out of business , Might be able to find on e-bay. Little pricey tho. Later RJD

·
Registered
55 Posts
This may be a silly question, but have you considered building your own? It seams to me all it would take is some Lexan or other suitable material, A hinging system and a small weather resent solenoid. Then you could use what ever triggering system you like.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I am interested in Crossing Gates too.    Could one of you post a picture of yours?

Have you ever watched  C S I  Crime Scene Investegation?   Ever see the little  L shaped scales they put next to a  object they photograph?

Could you add a  ruler of some  shorts to your pic's?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts