G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is John and I recently moved to East Liverpool OH with my wife to be closer to her family and a couple of my kids. I’m working remotely full time so we bought a 121 year old house that we are in the process of renovating.

luckily for us the purchase included a substantially large back yard with one heck of a view and a lot of overgrown landscaping. The bones are there so this is my opportunity to finally have the time and space for a nice garden railroad. I’m in a tall bluff right at the edge of the Ohio River with a fantastic view of the river and WV in the background. I’m attaching a few photos of the space so you can see what I have to work with.
Back of the property with the view has a low stone wall I’d like to run a track across. Lots of planning to do as I am knee deep in interior renovations now so by spring I can probably start doing stuff outside.

looking forward to starting a thread in the railroad at some point and posting ideas. Looking forward to interacting with everyone.
Plant Tree Hedge Grass Shrub
Plant Plant community Window Land lot Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Tree
Plant Window Botany Leaf Tree
Plant Tree Hedge Grass Shrub Plant Plant community Window Land lot Natural landscape Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Tree Plant Window Botany Leaf Tree Plant Tree Hedge Grass Shrub Plant Plant community Window Land lot Natural landscape Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Tree Plant Window Botany Leaf Tree

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks pretty level? Excessive grades will frustrate you.
Some people like a raised track at knee or belly height, most install on the ground. Track should get a well draining, pretty solid bed. A layer of concrete over a drained gravel bed will make the nickel or brass rail last.
Do you want to build US or European prototype? If US, llagas creek nickel rail would probably make you happiest because it does not corrode as much as brass or aluminum. So many rail products have come and gone. They have stayed. I live in the desert, so LGB brass does ok.
Do you want to use the whole yard?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Do you want to build US or European prototype? If US, llagas creek nickel rail would probably make you happiest because it does not corrode as much as brass or aluminum. So many rail products have come and gone. They have stayed.
Thanks for the nice recommendation! We have aluminum, brass, and nickel silver rail. The nickel silver rail you were referring to, does hold up great with much less required cleaning than brass if using track-power and frequent use... and the plastic ties have had UV stabilizer added for many years now, so gone are the old beached-white tie strips when pervious ownership was having them made.

This looks like a great yard to start with and what an awesome view at your 'overlook' of the river! Please keep us up to date of your progress, perhaps start a new thread in the "Track, Trestles, Bridges, and Roadbed" or "Gardening & Landscaping" sections of the forum when things get moving.

-Mike

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome to our insanity, :) Consider if you go elevated or ground level. Elevated does make it easier on the back and knees. You mentioned wanting to run your trains across that stone fence, using it as a background or actually laying track on top? Consider % of grade also. a 12" inch lift takes 100 feet of track at 1% Most recommend nothing greater than 3% although some have higher. I agree that starting a thread in here is a good way to get help with your specific needs.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Beautiful view! Question: If the train derails and goes over the back side, can you retrieve it, or will it go all the way to the river? It looks like a point to point (or out and back) setup would suit the top of the wall. Enjoy whatever you build!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts