G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 07 May 2010 10:07 PM
I notice some signals are described as G scale, and some as 1:29. I did not look at every link, but it would be nice to have the actual dimensions on some of the signals.

They do look nice, and I intend to purchase one of your camera systems.I've seen one operate, George Schreyer brought his over, and it worked very well just on my one access point.

I would expect even better performance with your outdoor access points.

Regards, Greg Right, since the store is pretty limited we put most tech data on our tech reference site, you can find dimensions for most of our signals at http://www.iptrains.org/mediawiki/index.php/Signals although I do need to update that for some of the new models we've introduced. Note that those dimensions are above ground portions of the signals only, they do not include the in ground mount. You can fudge an inch or so in either direction by playing with the base. I'll look at including above ground dimensions at the store the next time I update.

Glad you liked Trainvision, yes it performs very well with our outdoor APs and since they are POE units they are drop dead easy to install. The real fun starts when you have two or more train vision units on your railroad and the beauty of the system is that it scales very well with just one AP. Real time frame grabs at http://www.iptrains.org/mediawiki/index.php/Live!_Master_Cams . Those are all off of one AP.

JT

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey JT,

Just to remind you that I'll be coming your way on Amtrak as soon as I get done teaching my Advanced DCC class TX on the 22nd of this month. IE the week of the 24-28 I will be there to get my camera, and battery system hooked up. The Dash 9 is ready, and waiting. I look forward to seeing you then, and I hope all is well with you, and yours.

Take Care, and I'll see you soon

Loco Lee

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Posted By bdp3wsy on 30 Apr 2010 11:21 PM
It looks like SB signals have shut products per their web site. An insider says maybe next year before they restart. Jake
I chatted with the owner of SB Signals today at the Great Midwest Train Show that's held in Wheaton, IL. at the DuPage County Fairgrounds. It's a monthly (except for July) mainly o gauge show. Anyway the owner said that SB Signals is alive & well...Just give him a call!!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Shiloh signals -- not too expensive, weatherproof, and he did some custom work for me so that they look good on a traction line.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
As mentioned other options available and a little cheaper an can be run off of battery. Later RJD

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does anybody out there have any experiance with SB crossing lights or WigWam signals? I am trying to install these signals on my layout and I am having all sorts of issues. I would like to hear from anybody that has installed either or both of these signals.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Kenny you are more likely to get help by starting a new thread. This one is more than a year old from the start and many might not open it anymore.
We have a lot of tech guys that probably can help you, but you should let them know of your different subject... in a subject line.

Good Luck,

John

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Sorry to restart an old topic. I have a single track section that is bi-directional. I want to protect it at both ends when a train is in that section so I want the signals at each end to be tied together so they both go red when a train is in that particular section. It's not really that hard to envision. It's what any railroad would do in that situation. However, when I talked to Z-Stuff he stated that his signals could not be wired together in that manner as they would just lock up in the red position. I then called Jim Leslie at South Bend and he assured me that his signals do work that way. He is also going to be introducing an improved detection and signal system for large scale in March or April. South Bend then seems to me the only way to go inspite of the flashy color adds I see in GRy mag by Z-Stuff. I am live steam and battery only - no track power. Any comments?
jf

http://www.sbsignal.com/Products.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to restart an old topic. I have a single track section that is bi-directional. I want to protect it at both ends when a train is in that section so I want the signals at each end to be tied together so they both go red when a train is in that particular section. It's not really that hard to envision. It's what any railroad would do in that situation. However, when I talked to Z-Stuff he stated that his signals could not be wired together in that manner as they would just lock up in the red position. I then called Jim Leslie at South Bend and he assured me that his signals do work that way. He is also going to be introducing an improved detection and signal system for large scale in March or April. South Bend then seems to me the only way to go inspite of the flashy color adds I see in GRy mag by Z-Stuff. I am live steam and battery only - no track power. Any comments?jfhttp://www.sbsignal.com/Products.htmlPosted By jfrank on 01 Mar 2011 01:20 PM

Please have a look at this link. We offer full bidirectional block signaling functionality. System can run off track power or in your case, external 12/24 VDC.

Also see the signaling sections at our tech reference site for more details.

Best ... JT

http://www.sbsignal.com/Products.html

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey JT... if you really want to make it easy... use one single track detection circuit and drive two signals in parallel. That way they should both be displaying the same aspect simultaneously. If I'm not mistaken, they use a timer to drive the change from restricting to approach to clear. That could look kinda funny.... but unless you can see both signals at the same time no one should really notice [email protected] url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/CEHtmlEditorProvider/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css);

·
Registered
28 Posts
Posted By jgallaway81 on 01 Mar 2011 02:41 PM
Hey JT... if you really want to make it easy... use one single track detection circuit and drive two signals in parallel. That way they should both be displaying the same aspect simultaneously. If I'm not mistaken, they use a timer to drive the change from restricting to approach to clear. That could look kinda funny.... but unless you can see both signals at the same time no one should really notice [email protected] url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/CEHtmlEditorProvider/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css);

Our stuff actually works mostly like that. The block bus is common to signals on both ends. One block detector monitors train sensors at either end of the block and sets/clears the block. We don't use timers, we depend on actual train positions. Restricting aspects are set/cleared by adjacent blocks. It operates like the prototype does.

JT

41 - 54 of 54 Posts