G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a C-18 on order that I expect to ship soon. This is my first Ready to Run engine I'm getting.
With the significant investment it represents, I wanted to have a checklist.
I know a general look around for any bent, dented, or chafed parts due to shipping. But beyond that, what do the more experienced steamers do on their initial inspection of a new engine.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just do, as you say, the usual visual inspections for any damage and check that the valve gear reverses with no slipping shafts and then just steam it up, after doing usual water, oil and fuel of course. Preferably steam on blocks and if any problems shut down and contact your dealer or Accucraft, but I think you will be OK with this one. The C-18 has been a long time in design and production so this magnificent model should be a good one, let us know here on MLS when you get it and post some pics and 'road test' notes of how it performs.
Russell

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
One of the first things that I would do, is to make sure that it rolls smoothly on a length of track.
No point steaming it up if the wheels don't go round!!!!!
It wouldn't hurt to check all the main screws and nuts to make sure that they are all there, and not loose.
Make sure all the controls, I guess as this is gas, you only need to check the throttle that it opens and closes, and likewise the gas controls.
Then as Russell suggests, just try steaming it up.
Hope that it all goes smoothly for you.
Regards,
David Leech, Canada

·
Registered
199 Posts
Has anyone gotten one of these C-18s and had a chance to see how it works. I was wondering mostly about lighting it especially in cooler weather. Would love to hear any reports on this aspect and others. Jim

·
Registered
268 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to check all the main screws and nuts to make sure that they are all there, and not loose.
I would definitely recommend this. Some years ago, I unpacked one of Accucraft's high-end live steam locos and found that nearly all the Walschaerts valve gear screws were loose, some having almost completely backed out. These were gently tightened and have not been a problem since, so this was clearly an oversight at the factory. Definitely worth the effort, only takes a minute.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have traveled very often to shows and friends or GTG and have found that screws may come loose due to the vibration of a car. The recomendation to check for loose screws before steaming is of paramount importance. Its easy to do and can save alot of hastle later. Do not overtighten brass screws as you will only ruin the threads.

·
Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the guidance.
It sounds like what I was planning on doing.
1. General inspection after shipment.
2. Check all fasteners for torque or anything that may have rattled loose
3. Roll engine to check for any binding with valve gear in different positions.
4. Go through normal process prior to steaming, lubricate, steam oil, water, fuel.
5. Steam up and operate on rollers.
6. Run light engine on track.
7. Shut down, clean, inspect.
8. Refuel and run.

I've been meaning to get the Starting in Steam book. Just haven't yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts