G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who never check the other forums and have gotten used to using the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the page, be aware that the new Rich Text Editor is now online via the "Add Reply" button. This new editor makes it far easier to post photos, add active links, add YouTube videos, format your text, check spelling, etc. It's undergone a lot of testing both privately and publicly here on MLS in the Forum Bugs and Testing forum.

Check it out.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm not sure what is online. I see options for bold, italics, underline, left, center and right and that's it! I found I could only paste in something when its only in html mode.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dwight (or anyone),

How do you paste a photo please?

I can't find a button for it, nor does Copy and Paste from a photo application seem to work,

Hopefully,

David
England

·
Premium Member
353 Posts

That is nice.  Thanks Shad.  It was a long wait, but hopefully worth it!  

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Dave, I can't see what you see on the 'Add Reply' page.  I believe 1st class members have more options at this time (part of supporting the site).  Dwight or Shad can answer your questions, but I remember Shad posting something about 1st class members getting more with this new addition.  Also, welcome to Mylargescale. 

P.S.  Shad, the emotions are not working at this time. 

·
Administrator
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave - Fred is correct. Some of the features, including the buttons to paste in photos, are available only to 1st Class members. Part of the reason is, as Fred said, to provide additional benefits to those who voluntarily support the site. Additionally, the buttons now tie in directly to a member's 1st Class web space, and when clicked, display thumbnails of all the images in that space, allowing the user/member to simply click on the photo they wish to post.

Non-1st Class members can still post photos using the [ img][ /img] tags as follows...
1 - On any photo posted to the forums, there is a 640 pixel width limit, so you need to resize your photos so they are no wider than 640 pixels. Anything posted which is wider than that will be converted to a simple link by the first moderator who sees it.

2 - Filenames: Avoid using special characters in filenames. Stick with letters, numbers, the hyphen ( - ), and the underscore ( _ ). Also avoid spaces in filenames. Spaces, parenthesis, asterisks, punctuation marks, ampersands, etc. should be avoided in filenames as these will all cause problems when trying to post the photo.

3 - In order to post a photo, it needs to be uploaded to a web server. Photos cannot be posted that live on your local hard drive because there's no way for MLS to contact your computer via the internet and get the photo in order to display it. Most ISPs provide web space to their customers. Some (though not all) photos services will also work - sites such as PhotoBucket. 1st Class members get 100mb of web space to host their photos as part of their membership.

4 - Once your photo is uploaded to a web server, it has a URL associated wth it. To post the photo on MLS, enclose the photo's URL in the [ img][ /img] tags like so...

[ img]PhotoURL[ /img] (without the spaces - I had to insert them so the img tags would show up here).

I know it sounds complicated, but it's easier to do than to explain. Once you've done it a few times, it becomes second nature. :) Use the Forum Bugs and Testing forum to try a few practice photos until you get the hang of it.

All - we'll be coming out with a FAQ on using the new editor soon.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
David

Since you're not a 1st Class member you have limited functions available in the editor, but to include an image use the following Forum Code.

[*img]ImageURLGoes Here[*/img]
(Note, remove the asterisks from the tags so they'll execute.)

For example the following is what I entered in the editor's text area to get the following image to be included in the reply.

[*img]http://gold.mylargescale.com/stevec/Misc-Files/147314pr.jpg[*/img]

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
David

When I use the URL that you entered for the location of the image, and use it in the browser's address field, I run into a Google Sites Login screen, which is why the image isn't being displayed in your reply. You see the image because you've got the required User ID & password saved on your computer, but others only see a little red x in a box in place of the image.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Success thanks guys

Oh Yes? I don't see nuthin'. ;-) [;)]

David - if you right-click the red X, you can select 'properties' and that will tell you what the photo URL (web address) actually is. Neither of yours seem like the address of a picture.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bother!

Thanks for the help guys.

Yes, I put the pictures on my Google website.

Must rethink.

I could see the first one myself ('cos I'm logged in to Google) but not the second (I used a tinyurl, but also the image was taller than its 640 width).

Ill keep trying, and sorry it's trying your patience.

David

1 - 20 of 28 Posts