G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Rick, SWEET! And it's not just a false front! It fits in nicely with the false front though :) Did you follow a particular plan or how did you determine the overall size? Did you dado the battens or are they separate pieces? What did you use for roofing material? What about the chimney, looks very real?

Side note, whose switch stand is that in the first photo?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Jimtyp,
I more or less used drawings of the Sierra Railraods, Angels Camp Depot, but of course had to use some compression.
Even so it ended up 56" long, including docks.

The battens are done by saw cutting a 3/16 wide by 3/16ths deep groove then gluing and nailing in a 3/16ths by 1/4 batten.
I think this method,although time consuming, gives a very weather hardy surface.

The roof is 20 gauge galv. sheet with a wood edging glued around the bottom side then covered with 30# mineral felt (real roofing)
Here again this should be a very weather resistant finish even though it isn't very scale perfect.

The chimney is just a block of Redwood cut and grooved on the bandsaw with the vertical brick grooves hand cut. Paint mostly for the finish.
The flashing is a solid piece of 26 ga siliconed to the bottom before attachment to the structure.

Those switchstands are Sunset Valley. I have had very good luck with them and love the way they look. Of course these are on a raised
layout not on the ground so snap off is not a major issue.

Thanks for your interest.
Rick

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.