G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just a few pictures of the test fitting of the new depot.
Still needs a few details like door knobs and the rest of the signage
but it is basically ready to "screw down".
Thanks for your time.
Rick










 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
580 Posts
Rick,

That is one beautiful depot.  How about some details of what went into the construction or did I miss something along the way?

Doc
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,716 Posts
That's beautiferous!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
101 Posts
WOW that really looks nice, Im wondering what color that yellow is? it really seems to fit the building , not a big fan of yellow however this is one exception.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
Very nice! That will be a fine addition to your pike! If you have some construction photos we would definitely like to see them as well! Once again, Bravo!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
383 Posts
Very nice, Rick!!!
Hope my buildings grow up to be like yours!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
965 Posts
Rick,
As others have said, you did a great job on the depot.  Could you also show more pictures of the loco [?] barn on the right side of the first picture? 


 Construction photos or materials used info would also be appreciated.
Jim C.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
116 Posts
Just want to add another "attaboy" to the list. Very realistic looking structures and good photos. Did you make the board and batten siding or purchase it somewhere?
Thanks again for sharing, great looking work.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
394 Posts
That's a very handsome depot.  Looks as if the village outside your train storage area is really beginning to grow.  Sometime, I think it would be fun if you backed up and photographed the entire village including the depot.  You have been very good about showing us the individual buildings as they go in and this would pull it all together.

Llyn
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi All,
Thanks for your interest.
To answer some of the questions.


Richard
The lamp on the passenger platform is from the junk box. Some brass/copper tubing, glass beads, finish washers, and a pigtailed bulb.  30 minutes and some spray paint.  
The twin lights on the loading dock are a couple of worked over wirenuts and some more pigtailed bulbs.  The shaded lamps over the doors are again bulbs and tubing, the 
shades are baked porcelain made by one of our club members.

Thanks Dwight,
The prototype huh.  Wellllll,  it is kinda, loosly, sorta, based on the Sierra Railroads Angels Camp Depot.
But if you set them side by side you probably wouldn't be able to tell that.

Jim C,
The engine shed details should be found in an archived post by that name. Good luck finding it.

Lyn,
Thanks for following the progress. Later this spring when I have a little more scenery base finished in that area I will post
some overall shots.

Construction photo's, no not really.  There really isn't anything new here as far as techniques.  
The base is a pressure treated 2X2 frame to raise the building to track height.  The building box is 7/16 chipboard house siding
manufactured by LP the kind with no grooves just embossed wood grain.

The board and bat was done by saw grooving the siding and glue/nail the strips in.  all surfaces were primed and painted inside and out.
Ventilation is supplied by the open bottom, covered by two layers of weed block on the table,  Notice the round louvers in the buildings gables,
those are functional.  

The roof, for durability, is 20 ga. galvanized metal covered with 30 lb mineral felt (real roofing)  I then glued wood stripping around the 
outside bottom edge to make it look thicker.

The windows I did a little different on this building.  The ones you cant see through were built by cutting the opening in the wall then cutting a blank piece
of siding 1 inch larger than the opening.  I then rabbited the edge 1/2 inch in all the way around to half the depth of the blank.  This created a recessed plug. 
I painted the plug flat black and built the wooden window frame around the edges of it from prepainted wood.  I used 1/16 window glass cut to size for the glazing.
I taped over one side of the glass pieces and layed out the mullions and cut them out with a razor knife then spray painted the mullions and removed the tape.
When dry I coated the painted side of the glass with silicon adhesive and pressed them into the window frames. after the silicon dried I trimmed off the slops
and placed the wooden trims in. then the entire window plug was glued and nailed into the wall from the back side.  Creating a hopefully watertight window 
application.

The The Dispatchers bay has a see into room that is detailed and lit.  so these windows were done the traditional way.

Again thanks for all the interest.
Rick.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
258 Posts
Yeah, me too, Rick...Great modeling and a very attractive depot!

And thanks for posting some of your methods.  I learn a lot from seeing how you do things.

Dawg :cool:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top