G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my depot or rail station finished, The Cooter Town Station is a building for the outside. This building is made out of steel, with the Magic Sculp used for the covering. Jack Verducci had an article in the latest GRR magazine, I say thanks to him for the introduction to an outstanding product. This product will stick to almost all types of substructures. It will weather proof almost any product you apply it to. It is fairly easy to simulate a flat wood siding, I used it to make wood flooring, it works very well. It paints very well,
My station is made out of 16 gauge steel with all the windows made of steel. The signs and windows glass are made of acrylic. The roof is made out out western cedar.
The figures are the only thing I did not make.
Thanks Dennis

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Outstanding!!!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi,

Nice and most impressive work, thanks for the photos and the posting. Very interesting I will have to see if I can find the stuff!

G

·
that is, what i call a really good modell!
your magic sculp, did you smear it on and form on the building?
or did you form it and then put it to the steel?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
That is one beautiful structure. I too would like to know a little more about how you applied and worked the Magic Sculp. BTW, where do you find magic Sculp?

Doc

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very, very nice!:) That would look great anywhere, and I too, am interested in how it was applied etc. Thanks for the great pictures!

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as weathering outside, it will hold up good, it is a two part epoxy. It has the consistency of clay, you take two equal parts and mix very well together by hand. I took a flat piece of steel 12'' wide and 16'' long, you could use a board, and fasten either a 1/8-3/16''x 1'' strip on each side, thus providing you a 10'' wide area in the middle. After the two parts are throughly mixed, lay a piece of wax paper on the board, lay the magic sculp on the wax paper, cover with another piece of wax paper, I use a 1-1/2 inch PVC pipe as a rolling pin, and roll it out to the 1/8-3/16'' thick, Now take the rolled out flat piece and start pushing gently to you substrate, I took three table knives, (DO NOT USE YOUR WIFE'S 4 for a dollar at the dollar store)and sanded special edges on the knives, (I will picture LATER), I use them as my putty knies/ trowels. With the knives and a little water, it will smear out to windows and doors or edges, you have 1-1.5 hours to work this stuff. After it is in place I will start texturing the flattened out magic sculp, I use a rolled up tin foil, and tap gently all over the surfase. I also use a stiff bristled brush and gently tap the surface, this produces outstanding results, when painting. Now take the knives with different widths of ends and start cutting the rock shapes.
I am shipping the model off today to enter it in the building contest at NGRC in Phoenix, if you are going you can see there.
Thanks for the comments
Dennis

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
That's incredibly beautiful.

Thanks for the instructions for magic sculpt. Is that the same stuff Gaetan used to make his winning figure?

·
Registered
691 Posts
You got me with the roof. I had to look at that first photo three times before I realized it wasn't a prototype photo.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Dennis did a great job on the station and also on some houses. He gave a demo at the Ozark club meeting in Springfield MO. last Sat. You really have to see it in person to see the outstanding job Dennis did on the station. UPS should deliver some Magic Sculp for my wife this afternoon. Will see how she does. By-the-way the signs Dennis made really set the station.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Dennis,

A great job on the depot and with a new medium! Hurrah! Thanks for the photos and info.

Exceptionally nice design too. Goes very well with the "stone-like" finish. Did you use any prototype as a general guide or is it strictly your own design?

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Richard
This is strictly my design, I lay every building out in sketch-up first, a 3D cad program, with this program you get to see all the building from all sides and see how everything looks. I draw all the window and doors just how I want them. Transfer all views to auto-cad, do all the needed tricks for the windows and doors, send it to the CAM program and that program powers the CNC plasma.
Thanks for your comments and questions
Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Burl
Thanks for your roof comment, that is real western cedar, it took me 4 hours to complete that roof, That is my favorite roof style.
Dennis

1 - 20 of 59 Posts