G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jean's been after me to build up my town a bit, so I decided I needed a hardware store and a cafe. These are rather small buildings but are made to 1:20 and made to complement my bank. It's almost ready to put outside, but I thought I'd go ahead an post what I have. I don't think the weather will allow me to put it outside for the next few days.

The front is a single piece of corrugated plastic (about 3/8" thick). The ends and back are made of the same material and covered with Precision Products brick sheet.

Openings were cut for the windows. All windows were custom made as I wanted different sizes. They are glazed with 1/16 or 1/8" acrylic, depending on what I had on hand. The hardware windows are built up with styrene and glazed with acrylic as well. I found some old junk and stuff and placed them in the windows.

Since I was sort of detailing the hardware store, I thought I'd go ahead and "populate" the windows with people that I've operated with. I scaled some pictures to 1:20 then printed them on vinyl, mounted this on plastic and glued them behind the windows. The hard part was finding pictures that would work. Most of my photos have been taken outside, or could not scale correctly.

The buildings will go between my gas station and bank; they'll replace the barbershop and drug store. The old buildings will move to the other side of the street for now.

The roof pieces were made from some styrene I had on hand. I painted them with a textured paint and then added some roof vents. Screen backs up all the vents, to help keep out the critters.

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Lots of fun doing this one.

Here are some closeups:

I started off by modifying a "Fine Folk" figure. The hat was replaced with a cap; beard and glasses added. Plus an early RCS controller in his right hand. ;) The cigar is just a piece of brass rod.

Ric Golding and Fred Mills:

Ken Brunt:

Bob McCown:

Doug Matheson and Andy Clarke:

Gaetan Charette:

Richard Smith:

Ralph Dipple:

Bart Salmons:

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
RE: New buildings for the J&B

Oh my! This is terriffic!

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This IS a tad bigger than the buildings it will replace.

I'm pleased that the sunlight gives enough light to see the details.

More people here as well: Matt Brown, Andre Schofield, Gary Buchanan, Jane Clarke and Jan Golding and Dave Goodson.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Those are truly great buildings Bruce. It's interesting how much bigger they are. I've got so much time invested in 1:24 structures that I can't imagine, at my age, starting over and replacing them with 1:20.

Doc

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put the final signs on the windows of Goodson Hardware; I used my Brother P-Touch printer to print white on clear and just stuck them to the windows.

It fits right in place between the gas station and the bank. The previous buildings were moved to the other side of the street. I do need to clean up the layout a bit, but I think I'll wait for nicer weather. ;)

·
Premium Member
453 Posts

Bruce, your modeling skills are amazing. Very nice work, especially the window display in the hardware store.

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again.

Since the buildings are sealed pretty tight, I like to have some ventilation. The roof hatches actually cover screened openings, but I also wanted to build some decent smoke stacks; but I was stymied trying to make a good top. The other day, while poking around at Wal-Mart, I saw some chair glides, so I bought a set.

They come with a center nail to stick in the chair but I cut that off. Next, I drilled some holes and added four brass pins to the glide. I turned this over and glued it on to the cylinder. Painted it black. Yep, this works.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts

The peg boards in the window of the hardware store, is that perfed circuit board that you used? It looks really good.
Robert

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Nope...just a picture of a hardware window I found somewhere. I ended up using the same picture on both sides.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts

Nice buildings! Great idea about adding pics of friends/relatives in the windows :) Your modification of the Fine Folk figure also deserves notice. Very nice and the cigar is genius and looks real.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts