G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I converted a New Blight boxcar into an unpowered Goose awaiting USAs new speeder as a possible drive source;
[http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47210&SearchTerms=new,bright

Update:

Well the USA speeder turned out to be a bust /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/plain.gif, seems ya cant really take the body off with out the whole enchillada falling to pieces, so after sitting forlorn on my shelf for the last few months a thought struck me, I have a drive motor/wheelset thats the same from the HLW wadlin' goose, could I hook it up to a simple battery pack an use that? so I tried some experiments and found that indeed it does work! So off to Radio Shack for a selection of battery holders! I settled on a 4 AA holder that has an ON/OFF integral switch, carved up an HLW minicar for to mount the drive, screwed it to the underside of the boxcar and got the thingy put together, and... it runs! No track pick ups to install, no dirty track issues, none of that crap! And a little more experimenting showed the 4AA set up worked on the crapzilla drive I took off the Lionel 0-6-0, so a whole new vista of possibilities has opened before me!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Pics soon.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics

The new look for the Goose.

HLW motor spilced onto a HLW minicar frame and screwed to the New Blight pooper

motor w/ $1.98 battery pack from radio shack

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I like it. Nice use of materials.

Those speeders are pretty much only good as speeders...that don't speed too well /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif I have a K-Line one, and the power pickups are dreadful.

·
Registered
688 Posts
You have taken the first step. There is no looking back.
We'll have you converted to the dark side (battery r/c) soon enough.
Mwahahahahahahahhahaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

oh, and the speeder looks good. Nice work!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts