G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to the forum!

I just purchased a Thunderbolt Express (#90011) for $110 locally. It needed lots of cleaning to rolling stock, track, engine and tender. I had to take the engine apart and clean and relube / oil everything and fix a slipping gear. It runs fine, looks great, but the noise is just not acceptable for an under the tree kitchen train. I believe it's a 2nd gen (smooth bottom plate, motor is hot melt glued in, clearly a failure point) but I'm brand new to these so I'm not sure.

I thought about a Sagami remotor for less noise and I looked at Bachmann's parts site and found the chassis options, and thinking about the Anniversary chassis for $103. My question is, are these new chassis quiet? It seems like this design with this inexpenise brushed motor is just noisy. It's fine for a Christmas train but it's no fun that it's this loud! The Sound does work just fine but man, it needs an upgrade!

If this has already been answered I apologize!

Cheers and happy to be part this forum and G-Scale!

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg,

I did not, I did pick up the rear of the loco and yes, I agree that the noise is probably drive train and maybe some motor. It seems that the whole gear train may contributing some noise. I take it this brand and product are never that quiet?

I took a .MOV with my phone but the forum won't accept it.

Cheers,

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my experience, the newer chassis are quiet. Take a look on Youtube and you will find lots of videos - with sound.
Thanks, I have watched some of those but there's sound as well so it's hard to tell.

I thought about ordering this one and painting the cylinder boxes

Cheers,

Greg

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's the old gearbox in those units that makes the noise.
I have a version 5 standard chassis that's as quiet as any anniversary chassis is.
You need to find a new ,or used, version 5 chassis, either a standard,or anniversary.
Just be aware that the standard v5 chassis is weaker than the the anniversary chassis.
It will tow less cars.
A V5 chassis will definitely will solve the noise problem!
Thunderbolt with original chassis:
Thunderbolt after refit with version 5 anniversary chassis:
Denver & Silverton with original V5 standard chassis:
Note how quiet the anniversary V5,and standard V5 chassis are in comparison to the 1-4 version chassis!
Hope this is helpful!
Andrew

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, that’s a noisy gearbox! I can see why it isn’t appropriate for under a tree. You can also see/hear it hesitating with the poor contacts. Thanks for posting Andrew.

I had a lot of trouble with poor conductivity on mine too. It was fixed by replacing the starter set chassis with the Annie— it had a port for additional power pickups from the tender, which I added using LGB power pickups (I had tried the power pickup truck Bachmann sells, but the wipers started screeching something fierce after a few months and I got rid of it). I also put some tungsten putty (for pinewood derby cars) on the pilot that kept it from derailing so easily on a rough section of track I had. Now it is a really great runner and I never have trouble with it.

P.S. Greg— I haven't seen them on sale lately, but it seems like when Bachman releases new models, they put the parts for the old models up on sale. I was just lucky when I ordered mine and got it for $45 a few years ago instead of $109 they have it listed for now. I’m not sure if you have the luxury of waiting that long though, as it might be awhile before they go on sale again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RkyGriz,

Thanks for posting these videos. I did indeed or an "Annie" chassis on Monday and it will be here next Monday (I'll have to paint the steam boxes). Yeah, I pretty much think that whole Gen 2 drive train isn't worth all the time I put and certainly not worth the money on a new Sagami motor.

I also ordered a Mylocosound with remote and a high quality 2.5" neodymium full range speaker driver from parts-express that fits perfectly in the tender speaker mount. Also, I filled the tender with 2" acoustic foam.

As far as smoke goes, I'm going to put a blower smoke unit in the engine, pulsing the fan with the rotor chuff / pulse generator and running the heater off of track voltage. It won't be awesome, but it should work.

I just found these awesome micro smoke generators on Etsy (I don't have any affiliation!!!!) for the caboose. Heck, I could use on of these for the engine. His setup has a T-fitting and pipe smoke to the steam box area!

Once I get the Mylocosound in today, I'll post some pics.

Cheers,

Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have part number for "high quality 2.5" neodymium full range speaker driver from parts-express ".
I have been meaning to search for exact fit.
And, are we saying mounting ears / screw match perfectly? In other words, unscrew old and screw in new.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its not an exact fit, I just used speaker driver gasket (weather stripping with adhesive on one side, around it's square frame and I cut the tenders speaker standoffs done. No gaps at all the speaker driver sits on the plastic tines coming off the driver mounts.

The driver is the Dayton Audio ND65-8 2-1/2" Aluminum Cone Full-Range Neo Driver 8 Ohm, and excellent driver. I put 2" foam behind it to cancel the back-wave. It sounds fantastic. Unfortunately, USPS lost the MyLocoSound card package!

The anniversary chassis arrived, I lubed and greased it, cut a whole in the top shell for the V out molex and installed it. Sounds very smooth and quiet! I just flipped the weight over and also had to solder the smoke box and light to the chassis power.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts