G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got new axles and driving wheels installed on my SRRL. i added a flanged set to the center axles, and this pair touches the rails unlike the blind ones. it has made a big difference in traction and how well it tracks. now it tends to negotiate rough track much better, and has a lot more traction so there is sell spipping. here is a video. i will post some pictures later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=TMjgpW-k1FE
-nate

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Nate;

Have you been able to determine yet how flanged center drivers affect the minimum track radius?
I am curious, as my WWI ALCO trench locomotive by Roundhouse has a similar chassis.

It may be a moot point for that model, as I usually keep the trains to less than ten cars, but I hope to have the Roundhouse 24 model someday.

Happy steaming,
David Meashey

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nate;

Have you been able to determine yet how flanged center drivers affect the minimum track radius?
I am curious, as my WWI ALCO trench locomotive by Roundhouse has a similar chassis.

It may be a moot point for that model, as I usually keep the trains to less than ten cars, but I hope to have the Roundhouse 24 model someday.

Happy steaming,
David Meashey
dave, my tightest curves are 4 foot radius (LGB R3) so i was worried about that too, but it goes around them fine, and created no flange drag around these curves,

BTW half way through writing this i tried it on a piece of 2 foot radius curves (LGB R1, that stuff that comes in starter sets) and it even goes around them without binding, but there is a little more drag (not much though) so you will not have to worry about them not making it around curves.

so the verdict is that adding center flanged drivers will not affect turning radius:)

hope this helps!

-nate

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Nate
Great job with the 24. Glad she found ahome that knows what to do when it needs doing. Also real proud of your past year in school. I understand you got some pretty good recognition awards. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nate
Great job with the 24. Glad she found a home that knows what to do when it needs doing. Also real proud of your past year in school. I understand you got some pretty good recognition awards. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Art:) yes i try to teach myself how to repair things, and this is out of necessity rather that i waant to as i cannot afford to have her sent of for repairs, and i wont send her through the mail. so i just try to do my best in repairing my engines. i think the biggest stepping stone for me was working on that reno, that tought me a lot.\:)

nate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts