G Scale Model Train Forum banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
3,001 Posts
Posted By aceinspp on 31 Jan 2011 05:54 PM
Jerry I also have the bridge-master track cleaning car. I also added weight to it but in a bit more fashionable way than Greg. I use the pads that you use for smoothing out plaster board joint. It works very well and last a bit longer than Scotch Bright and it also can be cut to size. I do not believe you will find this car available other than direct form Bridge-Masters. It's still a good price even from them. later RJD

Hi RJ,

I had phoned Bridge-Masters to order their car but they never returned my call. Since then I've decided to replace the LGB brass track and turnouts with Aristo-Craft stainless steel track and turnouts (I have already replaced the curves with Aristo SS).

The PCC Trolleys were the final straw that convinced me in that I plan to run a "Trolley Track" between town and the sawmill in the middle of the figure 8 on the layout and those tracks are the hardest to reach.

At first I thought that with the stainless steel track I was not going to buy the Bridge-Masters but I will use the left over LGB brass track on the sidings where I will park the trains and the Bridge-Master car should work well in cleaning that track on the sidings (I don't want to carry a LGB Track Cleaning Loco out to the caboose layout or it would have been an even better solution).

I agree that the Bridge-Master is at a fair price - I just did not want to buy it from the manufacturer only to discover later that it was also available from dealers at a lower price.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Super Modulator
20,569 Posts
The nice thing is that the green scotch brite pads I buy 8 at a time, will cut into 3 pads each for the Bridgemasters car. That's really ideal for SS or Nickel. I've never needed anything more aggressive.

RJ has a bunch of sap on his tracks sometimes, so I guess he uses the "drywall sandpaper" which is silicon carbide cloth.

You can use either with this design.

Regards, Greg

·
3,001 Posts
I have been having a hard time giving my money to Bridge-Masters. First I phoned them but no one was there so I left a message. No one returned my phone call.

Today I phoned them again and again no one was there. I left a message but my phone lines are not working so they will not be able to phone me right back if they try.

No big deal I thought, I would just email my questions to them but surprise there is NO email address on their web site!

I think this is the first time in a LONG time that I tried to contact someone to order something and they did not have an email address.

Its not a big deal. I am not in a particular hurry. I just find the lack of an email address unusual especially when I cannot reach them by phone and my phone message goes unanswered. I am NOT suggesting anything about the company or their products other than they should get an email address.

Jerry.

·
3,001 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 01 Feb 2011 09:47 PM
Jerry, there is an email link on this page: http://www.bridge-master...trong>

You get there by clicking help on the main page. Really not too tough.

Greg

Hello Greg,
It may not have been too tough for you but it was too tough for me. Rather than my not finding it and you finding it, it should have been easy for both of us to find it without ANY effort.

No offense meant to you but if they had given me your response I would never buy their product. Their product is one of convenience to me - not a necessity. It is important for a product of convenience to be convenient to buy.

That was the point of my comments.

My 67 year old eyes find it difficult to read many things on a computer monitor and the particular computer monitor I was using has a high resolution but does a very poor job of displaying the lower resolutions I normally use.

Jerry

·
Super Modulator
20,569 Posts
The word HELP is right in the middle of the first screen on their web site.

http://www.bridge-masters.com/

Right in the center, just below the contact info.

Jerry, if you set the resolution on your monitor so that parts of web pages are missing (and I get this all the time when helping people), you must take the responsibility to scroll your screen, in this case down.

Many people do what you have done, mistakenly thinking it will help, and forcing a high resolution monitor into lower resolutions is not the answer.

Get a 27" monitor, run it in as high resolution as you can read. Run Firefox zoomed in, and you will be able to see ALL of web pages.

You CANNOT use low resolutions today and "see" web sites. You are fighting a losing battle with your configuration. I remember you complaining about my web site, and right on the first page of my site it tells you what resolution to use minimum. You can complain, but you won't win this battle, because you are fighting progress and the Internet, not me or Bridgemasters.

Bust the piggy bank, and buy a big monitor.

Regards, Greg

·
3,001 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 02 Feb 2011 08:04 AM
You CANNOT use low resolutions today and "see" web sites. You are fighting a losing battle with your configuration. I remember you complaining about my web site, and right on the first page of my site it tells you what resolution to use minimum. You can complain, but you won't win this battle, because you are fighting progress and the Internet, not me or Bridgemasters.

Bust the piggy bank, and buy a big monitor.

Regards, Greg

Hi Greg,

As usual you are using your values and expecting others to comply with them. When I was working it was my obligation as a salesman to find ways to make it easy for my customers to buy from me. Now I am retired and as a retired salesman I expect those who want to sell something to me to make the same effort to make it easy for me to buy from them. It is neither necessary nor important for me to concern myself with compatibility with those who want to sell me something. Salesmen who do not understand this have very short careers.

Lets put things in perspective - my perspective if you don't mind.

I am no longer willing to pay for computers that exceed my personal minimum requirements. My minimum requirements happen to be computers with a Pentium 4 processor, Windows XP and monitors capable of 640 x 480 resolution.

Some people may be willing (and have a legitimate need) for computers and monitors with greater capacity. As with my trains, when it now comes to computers I prefer quantity over quality. Some people will go out and pay $500 or more for a single computer and several hundred dollars for a nice wide screen monitor.

Instead of this I went to the Arkansas State Salvage and bought 10 IBM/Lenovo ThinkCentre's (towers) with Dual Core PIV 3.00 or 3.20 processors for $45.00 each. With these I am using either my old monitors (just because a computer dies does not mean I need a new monitor) or used monitors I bought from the state for $25.00 each. Some were brand new (older but never used) small screen CRT monitors for $5.00 each. I am increasing the memory of the computers to 3GB each at a cost of $15/GB. The computers did not have keyboards but I bought 15 IBM keyboards (never used) for $15 ($1.00 each). Staples had wireless mice for $7.00 and I already had several Microsoft wireless mice. They also had Microsoft and Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combinations very cheap.

The prices were so good my wife bought a Gateway all-in-one (computer and monitor) for our daughter in law for $50 and a Dell laptop for $165. A week later I went back and bought 3 more IBM ThinkCentres and gave one to my son, one to my son's mother in law and one to a friend.

I now have and use one IBM PC in the camper, one in the caboose (plus the used Dell laptop in the cupola), one in the house office, one downstairs in the house and two in the shop office plus I have 4 complete and fully checked out spares for the day when any of them crash. Because I used my old XP software all I bought was Norton 360 (multi install at less than 1/2 price) but I am switching to FREE Microsoft Security Essentials.

You say that "you won't win this battle" but I do win the battles - every one of them because I don't fight battles I cannot win - I walk away from them.

I "won" the battle with Bridge-Master because you gave me their email address, I sent them an email, and they phoned me. I gave them my order over the phone so I did not lose anything there.

You also said "I remember you complaining about my web site, and right on the first page of my site it tells you what resolution to use minimum."

I was not complaining. It is your website and I respect your right to do or not do anything you wish with it. Rather than a complaint, I was suggestiong that you might wish to somehow modify your website to make it more viewer friendly to people like me who (for whatever reason) use lower resolution settings on their monitors.

You are technically correct in that you did tell me which resolution I would need for your web site but the simple truth is that the inconvenience (for me) of viewing your web site means that I now only go to your website when I really need something which does not happen often. If I do I cut and paste from your website into Microsoft Word so that I can make your information readable to me at my convenience.

The difference between us is that you see life through the eyes of an engineer and you look for and expect technical competence - not only for yourself but for those who you offer assistance to.

I am not and I never have been an engineer. I am a salesman and my life has been built around making things happen with the tools I have at hand.

If someone asks you for information you will most likely respond with the technical information on how they can do something.

If someone asks me for information I will most likely give them a link to information that someone else published or the price, part number and description of the product they are looking for.

Perhaps you can see why I will not "Bust the piggy bank, and buy a big monitor" - because I would have to buy TEN big monitors.

You may think I have absolutely no need for 13 computers and you would be 100% correct. I don't need them but I found a way that I can have them at a price I can afford and I wanted them - so I bought them.

I might add that I have wired everything (house, camper, caboose, shop etc.) for wired and wireless Ethernet and I did it with free telephone cables so it is like having telephones - I just put them wherever I thought I might want one and it cost nothing extra to use them plus there are probably enough spares that I will never need to buy another computer.

We simply do not think at all alike and that is what makes the world so interesting. It would be a truly dull place if we all thought alike. When you are 67 years old and find it very hard to read things written on high resolution monitors you just might change your outlook.

If this somehow sounds to anyone like I am bragging I would just point out that I think there are very few of us who could not afford to go out and buy several 5 year old $45.00 computers and $5.00 monitors. The reason I bought them all alike is that ALL of the parts are 100% compatible and interchangeable so if anything fails on any computer there will always be drop in parts available for them.

BTW Just for the heck of it I just went to your website. This monitor is set at 1280 x 1024 but for my eyes to read your website I have to set Explorer to 150% and this is what I get:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/je.../Greg3.JPG

I am sure that you will say I should switch to Firefox but I have tried Firefox and I simply do not like it. It may be better but it would require a significant effort to learn it and I am not interested or willing to spend any time at it. I do use Firefox when I go to a Yahoo forum on one computer (my wife's with Vista) because I have not been able to sign in to Yahoo on that computer for over a year with Explorer but I have no problem signing in with Firefox.

"(I get this all the time when helping people), you must take the responsibility" spoken just like an engineer and a very good example of why companies need salesmen as a buffer between the customer and the engineers.

Regards,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill. No big difference between using Firefox or Internet Explorer. One must b flexible and be able to use either or such as I do and I"m no guru. Later RJD

·
Super Modulator
20,569 Posts
Jerry, I'm glad you got in touch with Bridgemasters, they seemed like nice guys the 3 times I have met them.

On the subject of screen resolution, my point was simply if you want to run a resolution way lower than the rest of the world, you need to be responsible to handle the downsides and "gotchas" of what you are doing.

Just to show some statistics, here's the resolutions of the people who visit my web site. The pictures on my site, are max 800 pixels wide, just like the max width here on this site.

Note: 62% of the people visiting my site are at 1280 pixels resolution or above!

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ltotis, Wait until you see IE 9. It seems like some kind of a secret plot by Microsoft to make everybody on the internet go to FireFox. I downloaded the "beta" and everybody in the house hated it. It only lasted a couple of weeks before I uninstalled it...

Greg, I'm glad to see that you fixed the problem with the blue stripe on the right side of your website. It looked like the photo above on my monitor also, with the text running into it, and I run 1600 x 900 resolution on 20" widescreens.

Robert

·
Super Modulator
20,569 Posts
I did have a "Template" that did not scale well with certain browsers. I actually need to spice it up, but I invest more effort in new information.

I run 1600 x 1200 at home (on 2nd screen) but 1920 x 1200 at work, will be updating home computers with nice samsung 23" monitors... they are still kind of expensive 1920 x 1080 is easy to find (because they are used in TV's).

Anyway, if you look at my above chart, looks like very few people run low resolution anymore, and the higher horizontal resolutions are coming since TV is making them cheap.

Greg

·
Registered
810 Posts
My 20" widescreens were under $100 each. I don't think you could ever buy a CRT that cheap, and definitely NOT a 19"...

Robert

·
3,001 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 02 Feb 2011 08:14 PM
I did have a "Template" that did not scale well with certain browsers. I actually need to spice it up, but I invest more effort in new information.

On the subject of screen resolution, my point was simply if you want to run a resolution way lower than the rest of the world, you need to be responsible to handle the downsides and "gotchas" of what you are doing.

Greg

Posted By rdamurphy on 02 Feb 2011 08:09 PM
Greg, I'm glad to see that you fixed the problem with the blue stripe on the right side of your website. It looked like the photo above on my monitor also, with the text running into it, and I run 1600 x 900 resolution on 20" widescreens.

Robert

Hi Greg,

Computer technology has passed me by in the 11 years since I retired and I no longer have any need to keep current. I stay with XP because I am comfortable with it and I don't want to spend the time and effort learning or money on upgrading to Vista or 7 plus my old software licenses are for multiple installations and I could not afford and don't need multiple licenses for current software. Even though the State had wiped all the hard drives on the computers that I purchased I could still restore XP Professional without any expense or problems because the State had left the original XP license sticker with the registration codes on them. They are now all re-registered with Microsoft under their original XP Pro licenses.

I think we may be talking at cross purposes regarding screen resolutions. In many environments (often off the internet) I do not have a zoom capability and my only option (regardless of monitor capability) is to set the resolution to 640 x 480 so I can read what is on the screen. One example is when I go to my daughters shop where I cannot read her program to set it up unless I first set the resolution to 640 x 480. Once I am done I have to reset it back to high resolution because with her eyes she does not need 640 x 480.

In other environments (such as your website or other websites such as MLS when I am using Explorer) it works fine for me to have the monitor set to a high resolution (small print) because I can zoom in with Explorer up to 150% if necessary for me to read the website.

My problem with your site was not having to scroll - it was my inability to read the printing when I zoomed in - it was always the blue stripe on the right as per the first emails I sent to you. Perhaps I did not explain it correctly or perhaps you misread what I was saying.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/je.../Greg1.JPG
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/je.../Greg2.JPG

I think you may have thought that I was complaining about the scrolling when I was talking about the blue stripe which would not go away regardless of the resolution because I was having to zoom in to read the printing. Perhaps that is the problem others were having as well. I could cut and paste the print into Word and read everything without the blue stripe getting in the way.

There is another visual problem I have (probably age related) in that I can look at something and yet not see something that is right in front of me. It is a sort of lack of recognition of familiar objects. Quite often I will put something down on a desk right in front of me and when I go to pick it up again I have a hard time finding it.

When someone has difficulty reading something or finding something (such as Bridge-Masters email address) it can lead to a very negative reaction (at least in my case) to be told by someone else who does not share the same inconveniences that they have a "problem" and they should spend their money to fix "their problem."

I might add that there is a lot more to monitor resolutions than the highest resolution a monitor is capable of. In many cases a monitor that is capable of higher resolutions does a very poor job of displaying lower resolutions while other monitors have a much better ability to display a variety of resolutions with very good clarity in the various resolutions. I found this out the hard way years ago when I bought a couple of virtually identical Toshiba laptops except for one having a higher resolution screen.

As it turned out I hardly ever use the higher resolution laptop because it does a terrible job of displaying 640 x 480 which I need to read a lot of things. Instead I most often use the lower resolution Toshiba because its has a good higher resolution but also does a very good job with 640 x 480 which is the resolution easiest for my eyes to read.

Resolution numbers by themselves do not mean a lot and often it is not until we take something home with us that we find out (sometimes much later) what the specifications leave out.

Regards,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Jerry,

Speaking of Engineers vs. the World, this happened to me yesterday as I was leaving work.

I was walking down a hallway toward a normally closed door. The door was being held open by a doorstop. Someone I don't know was standing in the door and he looked at me as I passed and asked,
"Do you know why this door is open?"
"Yes," I replied. "That door stop."
The guy laughed. I had answered his question, completely and accurately, but that didn't really answer his question, now did it?! I thought it was funny...and it is proof that I am an engineer!!

And I pointed at it as I continued on my way.

·
Super Modulator
20,569 Posts
Jerry I can comprehend everything you said.

Unfortunately, the rest of the Internet has not (and will not) "freeze in time" for you. That means you will still encounter problems seeing various web sites.

About my site: basically the "reported" resolution can affect how things are displayed. It may very well be that while my site is fine in 1280 x 1024, your "native setting" of 640 x 480 is what is "reported" and zooming by the browser does not affect that.

In any case, as I stated, your "fight" is not with me, but the Internet and just plain progress. I have had to retire several perfectly good laptops because the programs I need to run won't fit visually on the screens due to low resolution.

Regards, Greg

·
3,001 Posts
Posted By markoles on 03 Feb 2011 08:05 AM
Jerry,

Speaking of Engineers vs. the World, this happened to me yesterday as I was leaving work.

I was walking down a hallway toward a normally closed door. The door was being held open by a doorstop. Someone I don't know was standing in the door and he looked at me as I passed and asked,
"Do you know why this door is open?"
"Yes," I replied. "That door stop."
The guy laughed. I had answered his question, completely and accurately, but that didn't really answer his question, now did it?! I thought it was funny...and it is proof that I am an engineer!!

And I pointed at it as I continued on my way.

Hi Mark,

What a perfect example of how engineers think.

I like engineers. They were my favorite type of customers to work with because their thought process is so logical and their questions were so clearly defined that solutions were much easier come up with for them.

Perhaps another way of describing the difference between engineers and salesmen is that if Home Depot hired both an engineer and a salesman and put both of them in the hardware department the engineer would be selling 1/4" drills and the salesman would be selling 1/4" holes.

Jerry

·
3,001 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 03 Feb 2011 08:25 AM
Jerry I can comprehend everything you said.

Unfortunately, the rest of the Internet has not (and will not) "freeze in time" for you. That means you will still encounter problems seeing various web sites.

I have had to retire several perfectly good laptops because the programs I need to run won't fit visually on the screens due to low resolution.

Regards, Greg
Hi Greg,

The wonderful thing the internet and about being retired is that for every website that is a problem for me there are plenty of others that work fine with my computers and monitors. I just don't go to websites where I encounter "problems."

Unless and until Microsoft chooses to stop supporting XP and hackers succeed in destroying computers running it I will be happy to stay with it. By the same token as long as I stay with XP the drivers for my old monitors and printers they will continue to work.

If I was in a very small minority (getting older along with weakening eyes and loss of visual dexterity) the internet world would indeed move on without me. I suspect the opposite is true and that a growing segment of the internet population is made up of others like me who have a need for 640 x 480 resolution whether that is a monitor setting or a magnification issue. I seriously doubt that there are many monitors out there that are unable to display much higher than 640 x 480 (I don't think I own one).

Actually it is not about me at all. If I really had to I would go out and buy better computers, software and monitors but the internet and the internet sites are nothing more to me than a source of convenience, information, communication and entertainment. My current software does everything I could want to do with it and there is nothing on the internet that I would miss that much if I had to do without it.

By the time the internet or Microsoft eventually force me away from my current monitors I'll be able to either go to Walmart or to State surplus and pick up ever cheaper high resolution wide screen monitors.

You have a job and you have technical things you choose to do that demand greater performance to meet your needs and desires. There is nothing that I have to do for myself or for anyone else so there is no need for me to change anything. It is sort of like HDTV. I have it but 90% of what is available is of far less than 1080P and I can get 4 times the storage on my DVR's by not recording in HD. I have some small inexpensive HDTV's that I watch most of the time but for the house and elsewhere we still use our 20+ year old non-HD TV's. All the predictions that everyone was going to be forced into HDTV proved groundless.

Regards,

Jerry

·
Super Modulator
20,569 Posts
Jerry, I'm not saying my web site is 100% representative, but you need to look again at those figures. Look at the resolutions again. 62% are at or OVER 1280 pixels horizontally.

I was never talking about XP, only about seeing sites on browsers and the problems running in low resolution cause (I have XP on the majority of my computers)

I'm only talking about what happens when you run this low a resolution and how virtually no one else does, so there is a better solution, as I outlined earlier.

Greg

·
3,001 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 03 Feb 2011 12:28 PM
Jerry, I'm not saying my web site is 100% representative, but you need to look again at those figures. Look at the resolutions again. 62% are at or OVER 1280 pixels horizontally.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I understand what you are saying and I do not dispute your figures. I am simply unconcerned with what the rest of the world is doing.

I get up up in the morning, have tea/coffee with my wife, wander out here and swap memory cards in the game camera, look to see what critters came around during the night, fiddle around until the lights and chime tell me the critters are outside, watch TV and or the critters until dark thirty and then have dinner with my wife. Things like monitor resolutions just have no priority for me as I can always find whatever it is that I am looking for with the equipment I have.

We just have different priorities and outlooks on life.

Regards,

Jerry

81 - 100 of 127 Posts