G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised to get a phone call from St. Aubins yesterday. When Tom said "are you sitting down" I replied "you must be calling about the PCC Trolleys."

He was.

When St. Aubins announced they were going to have a special run of Chicago PCC Trolleys (Wrigley Field and Field Museum) there was no question, since I am from Chicago, I had to have them. I had quickly put down deposits on one of each but I had pretty much stopped thinking about them as it was a long time ago when they were first announced. I found perhaps the first mention of them in the St. Aubins ad in the February 2009 Garden Railways Magazine.

It is too early for a review but they should arrive within a week or two. Meanwhile, after checking the Aristo website, I found the other PCC Trolleys are also in stock at Aristo.

http://www.aristocraft.com/instock/Arrival2.pdf
___ART23302 *PCC TROLLEY BROOKLYN 287.00
___ART23303 *PCC TROLLEY MBTA 287.00
___ART23304 *PCC TROLLEY PHILLY TRACTION 287.00
___ART23305 *PCC TROLLEY SAN FRANCISCO 287.00
___ART23306 *PCC TROLLEY LOS ANGELES 287.00
___ART23307 *PCC TROLLEY TORONTO 287.00
___ART23308 *PCC TROLLEY SEPTA PHILLY 287.00
___ART23309 *PCC TROLLEY BALTIMORE 287.00

___ART23342 *PCC TROLLEY PITTSBURGH 287.00

Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
So Jerry you say that St Abins is going to have the PCC cars lettered for the Chicago transit company? Later RJD

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Posted By aceinspp on 07 Jan 2011 12:24 PM
So Jerry you say that St Abins is going to have the PCC cars lettered for the Chicago transit company? Later RJD Hi RJ,

These (the CTA models) were to be a special run exclusively for St. Aubins.

The following image is from the St. Aubins ad in the June 2009 Garden Railways Magazine:

Jerry

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted By pete on 07 Jan 2011 02:19 PM
Where can we see a picture of what they look like. As far as I know there have not been any official photos of the CTA models. Mine should be here in a week or so and I can post some photos then but in the meantime their inventory may be running low (Tom said one model may be sold out but I don't remember which one).

Jerry

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found this site to have very interesting information about the Chicago PCC Trolleys:

http://users.ameritech.net/sigridaok/grnhrnt.htm

The only Chicago trolley cars I remember were running on Clark Street. Most routes had been converted to trolley bus routes (electric overhead wiring but instead of a trolley with metal wheels riding on rails they ran on rubber tires and were driven like a bus.

http://www.trolleybuses.net/chi/chi.htm

I don't know for a fact if Chicago's PCC trolleys did or did not run other than on the streets but I suspect they did.

http://web.me.com/willvdv/chirailfan/mapt1933.html

I am pretty sure the Chicago Aurora & Elgin ran both on rails with an electrified 3rd rail plus on streets with overhead wiring (and perhaps on elevated tracks). The CA&E ran a block from our home in Hillside but it ran more like an urban railroad and was enclosed by a fence because of the 3rd rail. Elsewhere they used overhead wires rather than the 3rd rail.

I would guess that the PCC Trolleys ran on similar routes but in more of an urban environment while the CA&E was more suburban.

Jerry

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ART23350B - PCC Trolley - Green Hornet Wrigley Field

St. Aubin's Sale Price $239.99

ART23350A - PCC Trolley CTA Green Hornet Field Museum

St. Aubin's Sale Price $239.99

[url]http://www.staubinonline.co...l[/url]

Since these are only available from St. Aubin's I would think it is OK to post the above.

Jerry

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Posted By pete on 07 Jan 2011 02:19 PM
Where can we see a picture of what they look like.
Here are the regular Aristo-Craft PCC's (other than the St. Aubin's CTA models):

Undecorated (I don't know if this is actually available)

ART23302 *PCC TROLLEY BROOKLYN

ART23303 *PCC TROLLEY MBTA

ART23304 *PCC TROLLEY PHILLY TRACTION

ART23305 *PCC TROLLEY SAN FRANCISCO

ART23306 *PCC TROLLEY LOS ANGELES

ART23307 *PCC TROLLEY TORONTO

ART23308 *PCC TROLLEY SEPTA PHILLY

ART23309 * PCC TROLLEY BALTIMORE

ART23342 *PCC TROLLEY PITTSBURGH

Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Jerry I just ordered mine and it should be here Weds. Got the Green Hornet as they where not all sold. Thanks for the heads up. It most likely will be a shelf queen tho. Later RJD

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi RJ,

Mine will probably not be run much either. For me they are like Hartland's Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Interurbans in that they are part of my personal history (even if not prototypically correct). In effect the more I like something the less likely I am to run it as I don't want to wear out or damage something that is important (to me) when I may not be able to replace it.

I moved away from the Chicago area in 1965 so for me Chicago is mostly represented by memories. CTA and CA&E are part of those memories.

I've never understood why street transportation and subways (and elevateds) are popular in other gauges but have little representation in G Gauge but then I've never outgrown the Lionel/American Flyer and Plasticville mentality.

Actually I think Aristo's PCC Trolleys offer a unique opportunity for someone to build a G Gauge layout around street transportation rather than railroads. As such it could be done in a much smaller space with no need for huge curves. If someone offered a one trolley turntable one could be placed on both ends of a layout and a neat little layout could be built around it.

If someone does (or has done) this I would like to see photos of it. I know that LGB sold a lot of their trolleys but I have not seen any American trolley layouts.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
The overhead wire system , outside , down on the ground , is THE problem for modeling electric trains .

Even people who are NOT model railroaders , see that 'electric' trains with poles or pantographs , require an overhead wire to operate .

Unless with the trolley pole up or the pantograph up ,they are collecting static electricty out of the air .

A USA style overhead wire SYSTEM is needed in large scale for electric trains .

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Yes Greg you are correct , I ment a complete product line for a US style method of ovehead wire electric train operation , poles , wire , arms , insulators , etc .

But its only a dream But a made in Chinia sort of inexpensive maybe , product line could result in more trolley / interurban modelng .

I do have the LGB catenary , and it works very well , on my layout here .

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Jerry I move from the Chicago area in 72 to go to work for the MoPac. I loved going into Chicago and seeing all the trolleys and buses and then when the CTA took over riding the L. Lots of memories when I did live there. As you also said yours may not be run either. I agree it's part of an era and I will look back every time I look at the car. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Dennis;

I'm hoping to build my own single wire system someday. I am planing to use only pantographs on my vehicles (and maybe one bow collector). Both a good friend of mine and I have decided to use nickle-silver N scale rail for our "wire." We will install it head-down using N scale nickle silver rail joiners soldered to the mast arms to support it. This will also allow the rail to expand and contract a little, as we plan to allow the rail to extend a short distance outside the end rail joiners. Where the three foot lengths meet, they will be slipped into side by side joiners instead of being butted together. Not very elegant, but it should be fairly durable.

Yours,
David Meashey

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Posted By Dennis Paulson on 10 Jan 2011 01:03 PM
The overhead wire system , outside , down on the ground , is THE problem for modeling electric trains .

Even people who are NOT model railroaders , see that 'electric' trains with poles or pantographs , require an overhead wire to operate .

Unless with the trolley pole up or the pantograph up ,they are collecting static electricity out of the air .

A USA style overhead wire SYSTEM is needed in large scale for electric trains .

Hi Dennis,

I agree that an outside, down on the ground, overhead wire system might be problematic and I too have some of the LGB trains with pantographs but a nice thing about the trolleys is that they might offer an option for building a small indoor layout to run on days like today when the snow outside is higher than the track on the layout.

I suspect most of LGB's overhead wiring systems are run indoors and for those of us with less motivation perhaps a solution might be a non-conductive option in an overhead wiring system. That way an Aristo Trolley could possibly be run on track power but with a simulated overhead wiring system. For those more motivated there would be the challenge of an actual overhead wiring circuit and modified PCC Trolleys.

Unless I am mistaken in the past some folks did modify trolleys/streetcars to work with overhead wiring. I don't think my LGB Streetcars are wired for overhead circuits but these are the ones I think some people did modify.

If the Aristo PCC Trolleys sell as well as I think they will they might open new opportunities for growth in Large Scale.

That growth could be in both prototypical and toy like operations.

Jerry

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is not my intention to promote St. Aubin's but this is something new they are offering and it offers options for others to think about regardless of which Aristo Trolley they buy (note the differences in the reversing units offered):

http://www.staubinonline.com/store/...olley.html

PCC Trolley Special #1

Special #1 includes:

PCC ART23350A, Green Hornet

Split Jaw SPJ 100-B Reversing Unit

ART11031 Lighted Bumper

PCC Trolley features: 1:29th scale, low-profile motors, working trolley pole, full detailed interior, opening sprung passenger doors, working LED head lights and marker lights, LED interior lighting, lit destination boards, automatic operating brake lights, all new gear box design, designed after the very first PCC car built, and prototypical paint schemes and detailing.

PCC Trolley Special #2

Special #2 includes

PCC ART23350A, Green Hornet

Split Jaw SPJ 200-B Multi-Stop Reversing Unit

ART11031 Lighted Bumper

PCC Trolley features: 1:29th scale, low-profile motors, working trolley pole, full detailed interior, opening sprung passenger doors, working LED head lights and marker lights, LED interior lighting, lit destination boards, automatic operating brake lights, all new gear box design, designed after the very first PCC car built, and prototypical paint schemes and detailing.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 127 Posts