G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
the obvious place for a speaker is under the raised end of the car on either end, facing down. It will be view blocked by the body skirt.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Posted By Paul Burch on 08 Jan 2011 08:49 AM
Nick,
How is the gauging on the wheels? Those are some pretty wide treads.

Mr Burch,

I think Gauge is OK.............

By the Kadee Gauge anyways..........

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Posted By Treeman on 08 Jan 2011 11:27 AM
Those figures inside look a lot better than empty cars. At that price you can add quite a few. I see only one G set listed, how is the seated- standing mix.
Mike,

If you check their store,

You will see 10 listed............

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Thank you everyone for the information about the prototype PCC. I enjoyed the video (and music) Bill C. posted. I was happy to learn from you all that a prototype PCC car did not necessarily run on streets. Looking forward to adding a PCC in the future.

Steve

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Tried to install QSI Today and having issues.

1st thing is they have added a jumper that sits to high and when you plug the board in it hits the metal jumper and will not seat properly.

Also they are using a round type capasitor type thing on the board and that sits higher then the plug sockets so this is an issue as

well, for either QSI or the Revo .

When to boards are plugged in they sit way to low to the track for me.

Im not happy. plus their is a issue with the motor blocks but i will

have to call Navin on that one.

Sorry for some reason the Camera wont focus.

Another issue is on the sides of the trucks theres a detail part down low, looks like a skate of some sort, it hits the rail when running..

Will have to figure out what to do with that, as it cant be left as is.

And finally i found out what the loping noise is. 

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nick,

Thanks for all the info on the new PCCs. The "skate" on the truck that is hitting the rail is, on the prototype, the electromagnetic track brake which comes into play just as the car is stopped. It holds the car still while the car is sitting taking on passengers, etc. Looks like a bit of filing is in order.

Your loping sound is the same thing my RDC-3 car was doing. It ended up being a bad gearbox. Looks like a trip back to Aristo.Do these cars go around 4 foot diameter curves? Has anyone experimented with that? I want to put reversing loops on my layout and was wondering.

Other folks have indicated that they did not know how they could run these cars in the garden as they are "street"cars.PCC cars run on the ex-Boston and Albany Railroad Riverside line here in Boston which looks for all the world just like a double track mainline on any 1950's railroad. Those cars never see a street in their entire run on that line! Plenty of other cities have/had simillar runs such as Pittsburgh with the Drake and Library lines, Pacific Electric with their lines that the double-ended PCCs ran on, etc.

How many folks plan on overhead wire. I know I will be hanging some.

Mike McCormack
Hudson, Massachusetts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Is it just me, or are the wheels seriously out of round?
Individual rollers are at times not moving. Are your rollers worn or is it the wheels?
ralph

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Posted By Ralph Berg on 09 Jan 2011 08:45 AM
Is it just me, or are the wheels seriously out of round?
Individual rollers are at times not moving. Are your rollers worn or is it the wheels?
ralph

Rollers are new.

Its the wheels

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Posted By mocrownsteam on 09 Jan 2011 08:35 AM
Nick,

Thanks for all the info on the new PCCs. The "skate" on the truck that is hitting the rail is, on the prototype, the electromagnetic track brake which comes into play just as the car is stopped. It holds the car still while the car is sitting taking on passengers, etc. Looks like a bit of filing is in order.

Your loping sound is the same thing my RDC-3 car was doing. It ended up being a bad gearbox. Looks like a trip back to Aristo.Do these cars go around 4 foot diameter curves? Has anyone experimented with that? I want to put reversing loops on my layout and was wondering.

Other folks have indicated that they did not know how they could run these cars in the garden as they are "street"cars.PCC cars run on the ex-Boston and Albany Railroad Riverside line here in Boston which looks for all the world just like a double track mainline on any 1950's railroad. Those cars never see a street in their entire run on that line! Plenty of other cities have/had simillar runs such as Pittsburgh with the Drake and Library lines, Pacific Electric with their lines that the double-ended PCCs ran on, etc.

How many folks plan on overhead wire. I know I will be hanging some.

Mike McCormack
Hudson, Massachusetts

At high speed runs fine at slow speed it very jerky

I will take another video later at slow speed.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Mike,
Not quite right about the rail brakes. They were used only for emergency stops. The regular tread brake (or drum brake in later models) held the car at service stops. If you needed to make an emergency stop (or if the motorman took his foot off of the deadman) then the rail brakes were activated and slid along the rail head to give the car extra stopping power. The sander was activated as well.

Pre-trip SOP here was to put the car in emergency then walk around it and kick each of the rail brakes to make sure they were holding the rail.

Most PCC cars were single ended. Most systems used private right-of-way mixed with street running. There are lots of resources out there and you're likely to find a prototype for any kind of operation you might want to model. You might also want to visit (either in person or via the net) your local trolley museum. If you're ever in Pittsburgh, come on out to the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. If you're ucky, you might get to ride on a PCC, or maybe get the chaance to look at one as it sits on the inspection pit.

As to the model, it's too bad they couldn't have used warm white LEDs. The blue ones leave lots to be desired for a $240 piece of equipment. So the motors aren't quite right, and the light switch needed to be fiddled with. Sounds like normal Aristo QC issues.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Nick just some suggestions, for close ups on or with your camera, use the Macro setting, should have one,will cut down on blurriness! Also get a tripod to set camera on, no more herky jerky! And maybe Mr. Polk didn't want QSI in his new addition, if he didn't alow enuough space for it to plug in???? Maybe he just wanted to go revolutionary on prospective customers! What you tink???? Another fine Aristocrap product eh? Maybe dey got the cart fore the horse!! Just stinks when you get a new product, and out of the box, it has to go back, and all kinds of issue's with it!! Darn shame! Regal

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Posted By John J on 08 Jan 2011 10:15 AM
Arent you concerned about all that crap in the Ile way? One of your passengers might trip and fall.

Nice looking car. Are you going to keep it that way or are you going to re paint it?

No paint it will stay this way...

People can fend for them selfs HE HE HE

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Posted By blueregal on 09 Jan 2011 10:10 AM
Nick just some suggestions, for close ups on or with your camera, use the Macro setting, should have one,will cut down on blurriness! Also get a tripod to set camera on, no more herky jerky! And maybe Mr. Polk didn't want QSI in his new addition, if he didn't alow enuough space for it to plug in???? Maybe he just wanted to go revolutionary on prospective customers! What you tink???? Another fine Aristocrap product eh? Maybe dey got the cart fore the horse!! Just stinks when you get a new product, and out of the box, it has to go back, and all kinds of issue's with it!! Darn shame! Regal
Jerry,

Im still trying to find that setting on my camera ...........

Cant seem to locate.............

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Posted By Nutz-n-Bolts on 09 Jan 2011 01:29 PM
Nick, The symbol for it is what looks like a mini tulip.

Thanks Randy,

I found it with your help.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Posted By BodsRailRoad on 09 Jan 2011 01:30 PM
So the new trolley won't work with a QSI card???

Ron,

It works just hangs low,

So were going to take care of that.

I mean Greg is going to for me.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
the Pittsburgh PCCs ran through the suburbs which were often separated by areas that weren't inhabitable because of the forested hills

As a lifetime member of the Grammar Police, I will turn myself in to the authorities for this travesty against the Queen Mother's tongue. I didn't mean to imply that the suburbs were sometimes separated and sometime not separated by the hills. The PGH suburbs have long been separated by those pesky hills and can be expected to continue to be separated until the next great Tectonic shift. Further, I was in error to say the suburbs weren't inhabitable; to the contrary, the 'burbs weren't habitable.

I have been sentenced to not write any postings on Sunday mornings until at least my second cup of coffee.

Apologetically yours, Yours for good grammar, and Yours ervant in the battle against sloppy writing,
JackM

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Will keep a close eye on how all this shapes up. Not sounding to good so far and wheels really are wobble.
Later RJD

·
Super Modulator
20,514 Posts
Nick, I see the interference problem clearly now on the main board, thought it was the small yellow cap, but it's the larger 47 microfarad cap. We should be able to address that too, but I still am very surprised at all the interfering junk they put BETWEEN the socket pins. I wonder if they ever plugged anything into the socket!

Greg

41 - 60 of 230 Posts