G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 230 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Nick,

That car looks pretty nice… I gotta get one!

The plug-n-go socket clearance to the hatch cover looks kinda shallow?

What’s making that loping noise??? Sounds like something’s out of round… Maybe that’s how they really sounded.

Are the lights the right color temperature for this era?

Adding the human-beings really brings it home IMO.

I have some nice flat lil speakers for smaller gauge trains that might work out on the floor boards or under the seats. The rear of the car does provide a plausible speaker enclosure area as George noted.

Michael

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Posted By Michael Glavin on 07 Jan 2011 07:30 PM

Nick,

That car looks pretty nice… I gotta get one!

The plug-n-go socket clearance to the hatch cover looks kinda shallow?

What’s making that loping noise??? Sounds like something’s out of round… Maybe that’s how they really sounded.

Are the lights the right color temperature for this era?

Adding the human-beings really brings it home IMO.

I have some nice flat lil speakers for smaller gauge trains that might work out on the floor boards or under the seats. The rear of the car does provide a plausible speaker enclosure area as George noted.

Michael

Loping noise sounds like something in the motor blocks.

I hope nothing is wrong.

I will run it in and see if it gets better.

These are a new designed motor block from Aristo

Thought the loping noise was just me !!!!!!!!!!!

I really like this car and dont want to cut it up to bad,

I will find the best way to mount speaker so not that noticeble

But still sounds good.

They ONLY reason i bought this is for show use with full sound

So kids can play with it at the shows running under DCC.

Under car clearance may be an

issue with the QSI card installed.

I will try to fit it tommarrow and see how it works out.

I already have the card so i'd like to use what i have,

And being new to DCC, The simpler the better

to start with.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics of what else might be in this area, but how about those 2" x 3/4" low profile speakers facing down under the front and/or rear platform areas (where you have the tape measure)??
Looks like the body might hang down pretty low and give you enough room for a small enclosure ?? Crank it up!

-Ray

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Nick that car looks great.
I am curious about how a street car gets implemented into a garden railroad? I have only seen pictures of the PCC cars and they only show them operating on streets. For the model to be in its element would it have to be shown running on a street or did these cars also run on tracks though wooded suburban areas as well? Of coarse I due believe in the motto "my railroad, I run what I want" I was just wondering about the prototypes actual environment.

thanks

Steve

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Steve,

I bought this soley to run at shows.

But there are a lot of guys with streets on there layouts,

I think it will be ok.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
The Mattapn-Ashmont line here in Massachusetts uses PCC's and they do not run on streets except at crossings.
LAO

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
SEPTA's old Red Arrow division in the Philly suburbs used a double-ended PCC-style cars built by St. Louis in the post war era. They ran on private right of way and city streets, as do their replacement K cars today. Just a matter of time until someone makes an Eggliner PCC!

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Bill thanks for the video i noticed that the street cars could be driven in either direction. The aristo has a front end and a back end would that make it look odd running on a reversing unit.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Nick,
How is the gauging on the wheels? Those are some pretty wide treads.

·
Registered
811 Posts
PCC cars were built in both single and double ended configurations. Most of the current SF cars are single ended as the Muni has turn around loops at the ends of their runs. PE typically ran double ended cars but some of the competing street railways in LA ran single ended cars, some narrow gauge.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Arent you concerned about all that crap in the Ile way? One of your passengers might trip and fall.

Nice looking car. Are you going to keep it that way or are you going to re paint it?

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I am curious about how a street car gets implemented into a garden railroad? I have only seen pictures of the PCC cars and they only show them operating on streets. For the model to be in its element would it have to be shown running on a street or did these cars also run on tracks though wooded suburban areas as well?

As I recall from when I lived in North Versailles (pron. ver-sails) in 1969-70, the Pittsburgh PCCs ran through the suburbs which were often separated by areas that weren't inhabitable because of the forested hills (Castle Shannon, etc.). I seem to recall that the beginning and end of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood reflected that as well. Further proof that there's a prototype for everything.

JackM

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Or to an amusement park that's a bit out of town, although not far enough to require an "interurban"???

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
speaking of inter erban lines

I have a documentary about street car lines in the San Francisco Area

It shows that at one time you could take a trolly from San Francisco to Sacramento to Chico california .

Look that up in your road altlass and you will be amazed how far that ran.

This is when the Key system ran on the lower deck of the bay bridge.

JJ

21 - 40 of 230 Posts