G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well hopefully mine will show up Mon or Tues. So then we will know the rest of the story. Later RJD

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Posted By pete on 29 Aug 2013 03:57 PM
I,ve got a 0-4-0 with tender $100.00 takes it +$10.00 shipping
Last AC 0-4-0 I had, I ended up giving away, with caboose, for free. Just to get it out of here.
NOBODY wanted it. Hope you get yer hunnnert bucks.
TOC

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By aceinspp on 07 Sep 2013 10:11 AM
Well hopefully mine will show up Mon or Tues. So then we will know the rest of the story. Later RJD
Please let us know what you think, this is one of the few AC locos that could actually work well on the harbor layout, but at $185 it had better be significantly better than the last versions, I already have 3 Piko saddletankers, so justifications for adding this would have to be pretty darn good ones.

Didn't the earliest versions of this also did not have the splined axle mounts?

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Vic it failed to show up so it looks like This coming Monday. I will defiantly post here what I think of it and was has change and if all the wheels are within the correct tolerances. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well my new 0-4-0 showed up today and of course some surprises but over all it will be a good runner.
The thing I did not like was the UP herald but as I will be re lettering It will be gone. The side rods are all plastic so that's a minus. As you can see the wheels are still shinny type and not the blackened steel wheels like on the New SD45. The good is that the flanges are narrower. I measured 2.14mm as compared to the 2-8-0 at 2.61 mm. The contour appears to be different also as I got a different wheels size reading on the 0-4-0 (45.76mm) as compared to the 2-8-0 (48.37mm). So hopefully one will be able to use the 0-4-0 wheels on the 2-8-0.

Here is a look at the wheels and gear box. Sad to say it looks all new and not a GP40 brick. Will check futher when time permits.

The back to back spacing measures more on the front driver (40.24 mm) compared to the rear(39.76 mm) Have not had it on the RR yet just on rollers.

The loco now comes with a battery plug and a separate switch to activate. All switches located inside the tender and accessible by removing the front part of the coal load The QSI just fits and not really to much extra room to spare.

There are two more switches located on the firemans side of the loco. One is for the motor control and another is for the smoke control. Why this is don't know but I do know one must read instructions as I could not get the loco to run at first. Then found out about these two switches so once turned on loco ran. Da. Looks like the unit is a little light weight so will have to add some weight. Hope this help for those looking for some answers. Not a total review but all for now. Oops one last thing is the front axle does pivot side to side. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Thats too bad about the loss of the pivoting axle, it helped with rough track, that makes perfect track a necessity.

I'm not really wild about the cheap looking plastic siderods. Granted this was never a highly detailed loco to begin with but it sure looks almost identical to the 20 year old versions. Thats why I am still wondering whether its worth the $185 AC is asking for it, remember I dont use any of the electronics stuffed inside. The idiots on Ebay are routinely trying to hawk old 7-UP Express versions with the junky wheel plating for close to this price, so i will keep an eye on this for reports to garner whether its worth it or not to plan on one down the line.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Vic reread my post we did not loose the pivot axle.Also I do not know who came up with the D wheels info but your wrong idoes not have this on these wheels nso they may fit on the 2-8-0 . Will post a pic when I down load them. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Sorry I misread it, so IOWs, its exactly the same as the previous version only with more useless (for me) electronics inside?

I sure dont see any D cut on the wheel axles, that sure looks like the old style mounting. My HLW that has D cut axles also has the mounting screw that threads into the axle to hold it tight.

Are you SURE this is from the latest PRC shipment and not NOS ?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Posted By aceinspp on 16 Sep 2013 03:25 PM
Vic reread my post we did not loose the pivot axle.Also I do not know who came up with the D wheels info but your wrong it does not have this on these wheels so they may fit on the 2-6-0 . Will post a pic when I down load them. Later RJD
I think that was one of those mis-infomercials out of Joisey. It has since been determined they have no intention at this time of fixes to the wheels and axles on steamers with D connections.
Everyone was waiting for someone who was willing to spend the money to see what was actually there.
End of story.
Thanks.

However, you wondered where this stuff comes from, right? Well, somebody who loves his Aristo makes a post where he mentions the 0-4-0 wheels fitting the 2-6-0.
So now the new rumour mill will fire up, and we'll need another "interview" of the officers of the company by an employee, posted on their website and locked to prevent comments, just to de-fuse those kind of rumours.

I wonder (aloud) if they will blame someone on the West Coast again?
TOC

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Sorry to say but I think AC will fix. After futher review of the loco there is no D cut axles or wheels. These look like the same wheels that come on the 2-8-0 and are splined. As mentioned the flanges are thinner also. So If they get replacement wheels in they should go right on the 2-8-0. So Curmudgeon now you stop worrying that all is not well. To much neg about a lot of stuff here. And BTW I'm not a cool aid drinker I just tell it like it is. I try to stay positive. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
BTW here is a pick of the driver and you can also see the spline on the axle. Later RJD

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Posted By aceinspp on 16 Sep 2013 05:22 PM
Sorry to say but I think AC will fix. After futher review of the loco there is no D cut axles or wheels. These look like the same wheels that come on the 2-8-0 and are splined. As mentioned the flanges are thinner also. So If they get replacement wheels in they should go right on the 2-8-0. So Curmudgeon now you stop worrying that all is not well. To much neg about a lot of stuff here. And BTW I'm not a cool aid drinker I just tell it like it is. I try to stay positive. Later RJD Good thing I quoted you on the 2-6-0 then. Never know how many saw that......
Splined is better for trying to line up steam drivers than D anyway.
TOC

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
Smoke unit is not new type either as claimed by Aristo.

Maybe they should not announce features in their own forum until they get the loco in hand and LOOK at it.

Greg

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Here is an old one. I'm not sure how the wheels are fitted.
It doesn't look as if much has changed except for the splined axles and the finish on the wheels.
Not a very smooth runner. It grinds along...

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I can't tell from the photos,those splined axles (on the just released loco) straight or tapered like the 2-8-0, mikado,etc?

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
I have an older unit (aprox; 10 years) that came from a starter set tho' not a pretty pink like Anderws....
It has; plastic valve gear. Painted a darker color so not as noticable.
Solid wheel to axles , the wheels don't come off, probably sleeved half axles. The early plating was bad, I changed out the wheels (an Aristo fix) and motor (I killed it).

John

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Paul: the splined axle is straight another bummer if one thought we could use on the connie. later RJD

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Posted By aceinspp on 17 Sep 2013 10:18 AM
Paul: the splined axle is straight another bummer if one thought we could use on the connie. later RJD
Just a question.....is this another repeating of some obscure west coast rumour? Why would anyone ever think a splined axle could be used on a conical wheel? The mind actually boggles at the concept of rumourmongering that must have occurred to come up with that piece of garbage.

Of course, there were some AMC-era Jeep CJ's that had splined axles....and smooth hubs.....and it took one helluva press to separate them....and you hammered them together with a new hub every time at eleventy gazillion foot pounds of torque....but these aren't CJ's, these are PRC/AC units, so all bets are off.

And you wonder where these rumours come from or how they get spread.

TOC

21 - 40 of 124 Posts