G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over on the Aristo forum Lewis Polk mentions something about a new D-cut wheel on the 0-4-0. Anyone know what that is?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
D cut wheel. Since Aristo is going out of business, in order to reduce material cost you now only get 80% of the wheel.

Here is hoping that a D cut wheel is the hub and axle cut in a D. That would certainly end loose driver issues.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would also make quartering a problem. What I was hoping for is a new wheel profile with a thinner flange like they promised for the 2-8-0 that never materialized.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Are the new motor blocks available seperately?
I've got an old one, thought it make a good inspection engine...

John

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Pete, give more details .

·
Registered
914 Posts
Paul
I would almost put money on it having the same profile as the new sd45 that have the d center and thinner flange
dick

·
Registered
914 Posts
Mark
if it was a sd45 motor block wouldn't it be a 0-6-0? but I could see a gp40 motor block with the new wheels.
Dick

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
Yes, the "D cut" is referring to the D shape.

I have another report that there is a barrel of them at "Navins place", i.e. service, reported by a person looking for parts.

This may be the opportunity for Aristo to make good on the promises to replace the Consolidation wheels.

Will try to find out more.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are the 0-4-0 wheels the same size as the consolidation ,mikado and mallet? If they are and it is a new profile then this could be interesting. It would also need new gear boxes or at least new axles to convert the consolidation. But,kind of getting the cart before the horse in my thinking. Maybe someone will post a closeup of the wheels.

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
They were previously. It will be interesting to see how the drivers are synced on the 0-4-0 given that you have the hex drive to the gearbox from the motor.

It seems possible that with all the slop in the side rods, that the hex "positions" can be chosen to sync the drivers well enough not to bind.

To really solve the problem (assuming the wheels are an improvement) you need the "D type" axles too..

Greg

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
It will be interesting... I got some more information today, but let's see what the locos actually come with.

Saw a video today, looked like the smoke "puffed"

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
the smoke puffed on the old ones too (mine is 10+ years old). A little bellows in one of the cylinders moved the air. It also caused a lot of binding in the side rods, so I removed the link nick jr

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
Apparently the "spare parts" to retrofit existing steam locos are not available yet, "under development"... at least a positive sign... was pretty dubious that the spare parts would be here before a steam loco was outfitted with them.

What is still to be seen is if the 0-4-0's actually have this different axle and wheel.

Hopefully in a few days someone will take a wheel off and take pictures.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Greg,
That is what I'm hoping for,a picture of a wheel. I have a couple friends that have shelf queen consolidations that will remain so until they can retrofit new wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Peter
I thought you had the newest one. thanks any way.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts