G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Some of you have seen the little 0-4-0 "Woolwich" at the Summer Steam Up in Sacramento this last July but here are three at one meet on the Bear Creek Railway in Surrey British Columbia Canada. The details of this little 7/8 engine are on the video if you need more info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwloF0hm9WI
I hope that you enjoy viewing this little unique engine.
All the best,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
That is really neat! Is the engine a 4 cycle "hit & miss" type? It certainly runs quietly, not like a model airplane engine. Thanks for posting this very interesting little loco.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
Winn,
I am sure that Dan Pantages will fill in the details, but until he does, I 'think' that I overheard him say something like it only fires on every 25th stroke or something like that.
So it was actually running at 3000 rpm, but only 'sounds' like 120rpm.
As I said, I am a little short on the details as little putt putt things like that don't interest me!!!
But it is very clever.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Yes it was a very clever design. It fires once every 6 cycles off a governor on the flywheel. Gives the impression of a scale 600RPM. It is a 4 cycle motor, so every 24 revolutions it fires once. Try to pull start that baby! Dan was almost able to get it started by hand when it was hot. He used a airplane starter motor on the hub of the flywheel. Funny as the exhaust valve is driven from the governor and the intake is a simple vacuum. Pretty simple right.... HAHAH

I wish Gail sold the motors as that would be a sweet toy. My guess is at least 1,500-2,000 dollar motor only going from the engineering and design.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
Here is my video of the loco.
I guess because of the 'miss-firing' it must vibrate a lot, as you see when it runs past my camera.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

1 - 7 of 7 Posts