G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

Did I read somewhere that the Forney that Accucraft is supposed to release this summer will have larger cylinders than the Ruby? I'm hoping this is the case and it will minimize the land speed record performance that the Ruby tends to have. As much as I dream of a Shay, it's just not in the card for the forseeable future, but I think I can swing a Forney to be a companion to our Ruby.

Thanks,
Dean

·
Registered
243 Posts
I saw the Forney in person at a steamup earlier this month. Cliff brought it to "test". While we did not open up the cylinder caps to measure them, it DID have a larger OD than the old Ruby, and the cylinder caps had four bolts, instead of two. If there is any consistency in Accucraft construction practices this would indicate that it has the same (or similar) cylinders as the Shay and the Superior. Maybe in the neighborhood of 1/2" bore? The other improvments that I observed are a sight glass, crosshead slides, and perhaps a longer overall boiler. Looks like a nice engine to me. I wont say I'm not slightly tempted.

Regards,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts