G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very nice and what a cool bonus! I admit the first 7/8ths loco I saw in person was the Accucraft SR&RL Forney at Cabin Fever just last year. I was impressed by the scale and room to work with in the cab, especially for coal firing.

·
Super Modulator
20,720 Posts
Not quite getting your humor.... the UK guys advertising here in the USA, and pimping a free gift, a ride on a locomotive in the UK.

So, the point was don't advertise the free gift when you have to "dig" to find out what it is, and it is only available in another country across the ocean.

Greg

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Funny, last I checked, not everyone who frequents this forum hails from the USA... Plenty of overseas folks use the forum. I am sure Graham would be only too willing to clarify the T's and C's for you.

·
Super Modulator
20,720 Posts
So you continue to fight.... notice that the free gift was not clearly indicated, and you have to dig around the UK site to find it.

Advertising on a US forum with the "free gift" undefined, and having to go to the UK site is not cool.

Most people are from the US, but it is indeed a US site.

Just not clear and forthright advertising.

The post should have been something like blah blah blah, and a free gift for people who can travel to the UK.

Greg

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Merely pointing out this sub forum brings together all sorts from all places, so it's not unusual to see a global product release for the live steam forum coming from outside the US. It has happened many times in the past with donation match schemes, gift aid deductions, etc from ATUK and others. Not every product promotion carries across country borders. Same is true in the US market.

Yet still, obviously this caused some pericombobulation, so lets not get caught up on that, as it obviously causes frasmosis and general shirtiness for no reason.

As an aside, there's also not really any "digging", it is spelled out in the link provided, with T&C yet to be finalized as stated in the last paragraph of the product bumpf for this loco. I am sure all will be clarified in due course. I'm sure there would be no problem with adding in blah blah blah either if that helps make the description more concise for the North American Market (since Accucraft does sell to Canada as well...)

·
Super Modulator
20,720 Posts
from the original post:
"After a bit of a pause, we have launched a new 7/8ths" scale locomotive and this one comes with a pretty neat free gift! "

So, knowing the free gift was only redeemable in the UK, and EVERYONE knows this is primarily a US site, it would have been simple courtesy to indicate the free gift was only useful if you were already in the UK.

Now, having to find what the free gift was, you click the link, and read through an entire page of history on the loco to get to this:

In addition to the help Phil Mason has given us he has very kindly arranged that every customer who purchases a model of Diana will be entitled to a free footplate ride on the prototype locomotive at the Amerton Railway near Stafford (subject to terms and conditions yet to be finalised) and the opportunity to pose their model with the real thing! A numbered certificate confirming this will be issued with every model sold.

So I'm an American, who might not have noticed it was Accucraft UK advertising, so where the heck is Stafford?

Just bad form as I keep saying. When you advertise things, think it through, pretend you are a customer, especially when posting an ad in a foreign country.

Just sayin... I know you get my point, which could have been accepted, especially by the OP.

A simple "yeah" did not think of that would have been fine, or "yeah, oops, not sure all purchasers will travel to the UK to collect" or any nice comment...

But no, my comment, "So you have to travel to the UK to get that free gift? " which is a polite question was responded to with a flippant and not really humorous comment about shipping the loco to the us. Was actually not even answered, but now saying people from the UK read this site, and blah blah blah...

A simple response to my question: "yes, the free gift" is only redeemable in the UK" would have been fine (still somewhat deceptive)

Anyway, I don't mind a straightforward answer, I do mind explanations just to make someone look good.

Greg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not deceptive at all, click the link the information is in the last paragraph. Need to go to England for my free ride.

If I recall correctly Greg you don't buy any live steam anyway, why the big stink?

Steve

·
Registered
229 Posts
Greg, while your intention when posing the question about having to travel to the UK to pick up the free gift may have been a straightforward query, when I first read it, it seemed to me to have a bit of a snarky tone, to it, implying that a "free" gift is not actually "free" if you have to spend a ton of money to get it. I remember thinking very much the same thing; in fact, even a UK buyer could end up shelling out a lot of cash having to travel to where the "Diana" is to enjoy their gift, given the cost of fuel over there.

Chalk this misunderstanding up to the limitations of online forums; I'm sure we've all had to deal with the same issue of misconstrued intent before.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I think it was very generous of the private owner of the real Diana to allow any buyers to get a ride on the footplate and get pics of their model with the real locomotive. Hats off to him for his genorisity, both in the model development and the offer for the rides when things improve with the virus situation. Mike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts