G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
One of the problems I have experienced here in France with bonded ballast is the invasion of moss in the bonded ballast. It is nearly impossible to get out. I have one curve where I bonded ballast around some plastick tie track. but the moss spreads in and is impossible to get out (I have tried moss inhibiting chemicals and even brushing it off with a tooth brush in the summer), but the roots stay in and next winter its there again.

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
?? revive a year old thread?

You did compliment the author, but why revive it?

Now change the topic to bonded ballast? And moss invading it?

????????????????

Greg

p.s. get some real herbicide, moss is easy to kill with chemicals... roundup works here in the US, you can look up glyptophosphate or whatever is the active ingredient

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Greg,
I don't mind the question about moss. In fact, I just purchased some moss spray two days ago for my annual spray along the right of way. Living in the northwest moss can be a problem. just like weeds if not controlled. I buy a spray concentrate for roofs and walkways. It does the job. I envy your weather where you live. Just blew through your neigborhood a few weeks ago after returning from Mexico with friends down the hill from you.

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Heck Paul, too bad you couldn't drop by!

So moss spray only affects moss?

Isn't the area well enough defined to just use a general herbicide?

Yeah, the weather has been just like summer for weeks now. Fall was mild and we really have not had winter, and I don't expect we will.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Greg,
Moss is kind of a different animal. A general herbicide like roundup will kind of work but not really well. The moss spray will kill whats there and prevent any new growth for close to a year, so its kill and treat. The key with moss is don't let it get started. Even if you kill it, the dead brown stuff will stay. Doesn't look good in the ties. I use roundup or a lawn weed killer and casoran for general weed prevention. Maybe if this weed talk goes on we should start another thread. Here is an old photo that shows some sprayed track,some dead moss and some live moss. You can see the roadbed is clear, it was treated. In the bacground the brown is dead moss that looks like dead weeds. and some of the green is live moss. Good in the landscape but bad on track.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I too, have heard using Tide powdered detergent to deter, kill moss. What I wondered about with Tide is whether it foams up, when it rains hard.

Fil

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
My guess is that it will foam only with a very hard rain and very poor derainige. It sounds like a good idea to me. I won't use it on my layout in Virginia, because moss is part of my ground cover. I might try it on the road bed, if moss invades too much.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I too, have heard using Tide powdered detergent to deter, kill moss. What I wondered about with Tide is whether it foams up, when it rains hard.

Fil
I use it on my roof, and if you put a lot down it will foam up a bit during a heavy rain. I tend to sprinkle it on my roof during the last few weeks of the fall, and just forget about it. I have a white roof until it rains...In the spring, go up and sweep the dead moss off, but that is more for roof maintenance than anything else. Cheapest moss control that's available!

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Craig,
I would worry about putting it on the ground in concentrations like that. Too many unknowns about side effects. The moss control I use is sprayed on so I can keep it to the right of way. It does not leach out into other areas.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts