G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just starting out, I have talked with Marty before, I am building new house setting up indoor loop in a bonus space that will run on the floor along the wall. Eventually I will will build around my house outside. I have 3year old daughter that loves trains. I bought her GP-38 and am trying to figure out best way to power it. I want to do battery power and remote control. I am also wondering where I can get track the cheapest. I think I would like to buy large sections of 5 to 6 feet and bend them. Would this be the best method? And which brand track would be best? Any help would be greatly apprecitated!!! THank you so much for your time.:)

·
Master of Disaster
867 Posts
Well being new to the hobby, use track power first off as having the USA GP-38 set up for battery power would be a little much for a new guy....and if you paid to have it done may cost you a pretty penny!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

First and formost you have to decide just what you want to do with your RR, and decide how much you CAN spend to do so...that will govern the most bang for your buck!

My suggestion is to find a club in your area and start picking brains!
Maybe there you will see various brands of R/C units, so you can decide what works best for you after watching, and or quite possibly auditioning theirs when it comes time to switch to R/C....remember that Aristo engines come already set up for battery power...USA does not!

As far as power supplies My suggestion is to start with at least a 5 amp power supply, 8-10 would be plenty for room to grow...check out Aristo, Bridgewerks, not sure of what other brands out there.

Track....do not use Bachman for outside it will rust! I use Aristo and AMS flex..USA has very good track also. LGB good luck finding that one.

If you are going to do track power outside, I suggest stainless steele track, and Hillman rail clamps...if you intend to switch to R/C and battery power..then the SS track will be a useless expense down the road, and the money you save by not buying the SS track and clamps will pay for a control of your choice.
The interum track cleaning of the brass track untill you get into R/C won't be that bad.

So in closing, again you have to decide just how much you can spend, but 1st and formost you really need to decide just what you want to do with your RR....join a club...pick brains...volenteer for work sessions to learn how to do what we do so you don't have to pay for it to be done, thus being able to spend MORE on your trains!!;)

Since we started our club of River City Rail Roaders there are 6-7 members that have built RRs for the 1st time or EXPANDED their existing lines....and have had 2-3 members come over to the dark side of battery power.
I myself have learned so much valiable knolledge from this experience, and can state I am only scratching the surface.

Hope this helps

Bubba

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
RE: Need Track & controller? Want opinions?

Welcome to MLS Jeff!

As far as battery options go there are others who can provide more help than me, but the most common two I have heard of are RCS and Airwire.

As far as cheap track goes I think the flex track is the cheapest, but you may need to purchase a rail bender. Some folks just do the "belly bend". I didn't have that good a luck at the belly bending, but you might give it a go, the larger diameter curve you need the easier the belly bending works. Train-Li is considered by some as the best rail bender. Check out prices for AMS and Sunset Valley flex track.

If you can talk more with Marty, he's a great resource. You've hit the "mother load" as they say
:D

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
As far as I know the Accucraft flex track is the least expensive code 332 on the market today. It is avaiable in 6 foot pieces. It is selling for around $4.10 a foot. Are you going to be at Marty's this month. It will be avaiable with no shipping cost.

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Jeff if you can make it to Marty's you definitely will get a ton of info for operation on battery. Bubba has the good sound advise. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
If you want track power to get started we will have Bridgewerks Mini Mag, 3 amp. Also MRC 10 amp along with us at Marty's. I is agreat place to get a education on battery and Live Steam as Marty has no track power. I have been an advocate of flex track for a long time. Cost of rail, ties, bender and shipping have been the argument against it. Now it is the lowest price of any new 332 brass track, if you can pickit up at a dealer, no shipping cost either. Marty's is a great place to meet people from all over, get an education, and see alot of trains running. Hope to see many of you their.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
RE: Need Track & controller? Want opinions?

Aristo has their TE Tx/Rx on sale this month about $150, then you can send it and get an free Rx for the shipping. That will control your track power(still need a power suply) AND you can use it on your battery power later. Look at code 250 track, it looks better with our trains and since it's smaller and uses less metal it is CHEAPER! I know Kidman's(click on Kidman Tree Farm post above) has a good price on the code 250. That's what I have and your trains look a LOT better on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts