G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm making an indoor layout/tracks for my trains until I get landscaping and such together outside..which will probably be the spring...I haven't managed to get a railbender yet for flextrack, but the LHS has a good selection of LGB sectional track, so I was wondering what type I would need to accomodate at most an AC SD45. What radius is R5 in particular, THANKS! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many pieces of R5 would it take to make a circle? I have a number of pieces of flex track, and just wanting to run the tracks kind of around the perimeter of the bedroom on the floor(it's mostly so I can run tests on everything, as well as make sure everything I build in withing a similar scale to each other, lol...

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
LGB R5 curves are 15 degrees per section so it requires 24 pieces to make a 360 degree circle.
LGB R3 curves are 22.5 degrees per section so you need 16 pieces for a 360 degree circle.
LGB R1 and R2 curves are 30 degrees per section so you need 12 pieces of either one for a 360 degree circle.

By comparison Aristo-craft large radius sectional curves from 11.5 ft dia on up to 20 ft dia. are all 22.5 degrees per section so you need fewer than you would of LGB R5 for a circle. From 10ft dia on down Aristo's are all 30 degrees per section with one exception - their 8 ft diamater curve sections are 22.5 degrees (I suppose to match LGB R3).

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts