G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I help keep the Botanical Gardens trains running. We are in desparate need of old style #3 driver axle/gears for two Aristo Pacifics. If anyone has the complete running gear for an oldstyle or newstyle Pacific I would be interested if it isn't too expensive.
I would also be interested in running gear [or parts] for both LGB and Aristo Makados [2-8-2].
Contact [email protected] if you can help.

·
Super Modulator
20,504 Posts
Nice to see you post JC! I'll look around, but these parts are definitely at a premium. Very few old ones out there with good drivetrains, and few new style Pacifics, I guess they were not as popular as the Mikado.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Hi Jim,
I know nothing about Aristo Pacifics, so forgive me for asking but I am curious, when you say "old style #3 driver axle/gears" was it all not part of the chassis, or is this just the gears to one driving wheel axle.
Are there not 'other' gears that would fit?
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
JC,

The old/early Pacific's used a drive that was less than perfect, They were NON modular as the newer drives are. If memory serves me; the early Pacific drives share the same Engineers plastic axle gears as their early diesel motor blocks i.e., U25, FA's, RS3 and such.

If you don't have any luck, PM me, I have parts buried somewhere in a container out back or inside the hangar up high on pallet racks. In either situation I'd have to go on a mission to locate said parts... Sounds like a worthy cause, given some time I can help if you strike out herein.

Michael

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
I know nothing about Aristo Pacifics, so forgive me for asking but I am curious, when you say "old style #3 driver axle/gears" was it all not part of the chassis, or is this just the gears to one driving wheel axle.
David, on the old pacific the motor was under/in the firebox over the rear truck and drives the back (#3) axle. I assumed JC had chewed up his gears. (The later versions used a modular axle/gearbox on every axle.)

Are there not 'other' gears that would fit?
Sounds like Michael thinks there are. If the FA gears fit there must be dozens of them lying around!

·
Super Modulator
20,504 Posts
Uhh...

1. right side is a gearbox...
2. middle is hollow, no worm on shaft
3. left side has no box

The new units have all identical gearboxes in white plastic:

They have hex drives, and flywheels between the identical gearboxes..

This is a picture of a mikado/articulated block, I don't own an Aristo Pacific, just worked on my friends ones...

You can see the flywheels between the gearboxes, the motor is at one end of the motor block.

Hope this clears the confusion.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
FWIW:
The left or rear axle-driver is housed in the motor block, is hard fixed in place and driven by driveshaft/spur/worm. A cover or cap is removed in the pictures above.
The center driver floats vertically.
The forward axles gear box articulates and is driven by driveshaft/spur/worm.

Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts