G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that e-bay has shut me out. No, there’s no problems with what I’ve done. It’s that ebay insists that all buyers now use the pay-pal system and I can’t. See, I pay with Money Orders. I have for years. Now, because of a few dishonest individuals, I’m shut out.

So, does anyone know of suppliers who have internet stores I can buy from? I haven’t any credit cards, so it would have to be basically cash & carry. Links would be appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
just wait a couple of weeks or months, till the creditcard-bubble bursts too. - then everybody will be glad to get Moneyorders or cheques.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I alway show "check or money order" in my listing on e-bay. You should ask the seller if you a send a check or money order, but not respond to e-bay asking for a invoice.

alanrr

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Most vendors will accept a money order. It's quite convenient for both to use Paypal, and there's an extra fraud protection of the buyer if you do. If there's something you're interested in, contact the vendor and ask if he will accept a money order.

Beware of vendors that demand money orders only ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Depends on what you're looking to buy. Most of the big hobby mail-order places (Ridge Road Station, St. Aubins, etc.) will gladly take a money order. Pick up the latest copy of Garden Railways. Most suppliers in there have web sites where you can fill your cart, then determine how you want to pay.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the support fellas. I really appreciate it. E-bay was a lot of fun while it lasted, however, I refuse to deal with credit card companies ever again.

I checked with the ebay staff and they told me that any vendor that accepts Money Orders and or cheques would be sanctioned. I don’t want to get anybody in trouble. So, no ebay for a while till they come to their senses. And that’s okay.

Those of you who do accept Money Orders and cheques might find the following interesting:

Dear studeclunker,

Sorry, I quote eBay regulations, "eBay's accepted payment policy has changed and is now in effect from Jan 15, 2009: we will no longer allow sellers to accept paper payments (money orders and personal checks) as forms of payment - only electronic forms of payments such as PayPal or credit cards will be permitted." Since I am retired from business I don't take credit cards so I can only accept PayPal. This is my only income for retirement and I can not afford to be santioned by eBay. Thank you for your interest!!!!!

I responded to him:

Dear -------,

Thank you for that. I was not aware that ebay was discriminating against people who didn't wish to use electronic payment.

Thanks again,
Yours,
Ron Smith
AKA: -studeclunker

He continued with:

Dear studeclunker,

I agree with YOU Ron!!!!! eBay is getting more like the government evert day!!!

Or at least they[/i] think they are…

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
I miss my old Lark, was fun to drive...

Have you considered a Debit card? Not credit, it deducts from your act, realtime. Many work same as a cc for online purchases.

John

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried that kind of thing early on. A somewhat less than honest individual emptied my bank account. Then the bank told me I was S-O-L. Especially when he overdrew my account and they wanted me to pony up the cash. I can’t enter here what I told them[/i]. I'd get in trouble!

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I checked with the ebay staff and they told me that any vendor that accepts Money Orders and or cheques would be sanctioned. I don’t want to get anybody in trouble. So, no ebay for a while till they come to their senses. And that’s okay.

Appalling.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well Pete, ya got me! Yes, if you want to call me Ron instead of Studee, that’s okay with me. I use the internet name because some websites frown severely on using one’s real name. There is, after all, some small risk to it.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. The reason I'm asking for links, fellas, is because of where I live. I'm thirty miles from the nearest city over ten thousand residents. There are no incorporated towns in Trinity County. Not even the County Seat. Even Weaverville (the afore mentioned C.S.) has a bit fewer than four thousand residents. I wouldn’t go so far as to say my location is isolated, just a bit remote.

So, thanks again for the help fellas!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts