G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used USA Trains 70mac and was looking it over agian and realized that it appears that there are no switches on the underside for the engine/smoke/ect. The holes are there and labeled but no switches. Im wondering if some of the older models just didnt have them or if its possible its been modified. If its been modified why would the switches have been removed. Anything I can look for to possible explain? Thanks for your help in advance, Larry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took Greg's advice and took it apart. (Well I just removed the fuel tank) In the fuel tank there is a pheonix board and speaker. I then called pheonix as I had just started to look into sound since I purchased the loco and they told me after giving them some numbers on the board that it has the p5 system installed. I just downloaded the user man. Wow. Looks a little intimidating. Im thinking about going to a train shop near me and having them test run it just to see if it all works. Im still buying track and looks like a dcc controler. Any advice as to which dcc to purchase? This is going in my son's room and I dont want to get nuts with it at this point. Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will open her up in the next day or two and have a closer look. Externally I cant find any switches or volume controls. Ive looked pretty good but I guess when i open it up I will follow the wiring and see what I find. I would test it out but I dont have a throttle or any track yet. Working on that now. If this infact does have dcc I will likely want to go with dcc. What brand should I be looking for? Can I buy 1 dcc controller/throttle and use it on 2 tracks? (disconect and reconect to another) I would like to have a n scale set up for myself. (g is for son's room) Also I cant figure out how the smoke would work. Can dcc control that also?

Thanks for all the help guys. Im sure some of my questions have been answered here many times over and I will start searching now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.