G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small problem with the motor in my Buddy L loco:

There is about an 1/8" of front to back play in the shaft of the motor. When the engine is going forward, the shaft moves back and as a result, the end of the worm gear rubs against the nylon axle of the intermediate gear. This causes it to run noisy going forward, as well as putting wear on the axle. I suspect it probably also adds strain on the motor.

Is there any way to prevent this in-line movement of the shaft? 

I tried pressing the worm farther onto the shaft, but it doesn't budge.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
If you can disasemble the motor, find a small nylon washer about a 1/16 thick and install on the shaft.

·
Super Modulator
22,142 Posts
Washers or something has worn down inside apparently increasing the end play. The problem you may have is pressing the old gear off if required.

I have a small press here for removing wheels, it might work on your gear.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
6,738 Posts
Ray,

In the short term, to avoid disassembly [and this isn't a permanent engineering fix,] you may be able to loop a piece of brass rod or wire around the shaft and tie it in a knot or twist the ends, in lieu of installing a washer.

If you really have 1/8" to play with, then a nylon washer can be cut at one side and squeezed onto the shaft. It the washer is thick - almost as wide as the gap - then cut out a slice but less than the diameter of the shaft and force it onto the shaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.