G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted a classified for a Box (oil) headlihgt in 1:24 from an Accucraft 4-4-0 either in live steam or sparky version. If you kow of one please contact me.
Thanks
Noel

·
Registered
620 Posts
Noel,

Have you tried Caboose Hobbies?

Last time I was in there they had many Accucraft parts on the racks.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Before they changed the web site, the Accucraft store had several headlights for sale including the one you want. Contact Cliff Luscher at: [email protected] or (510)324-3399.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Noel,

Try Jonathan over at R/C EMW if Caboose doesn't have them, used to have them listed on his site.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.
Caboose Hobbies does not have any in stock nor does Cliff. May have to scratch one.....The Trackside version is too small ( 1:22). Hartlands is just right but in plastic. Not good for live steam.
Noel

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Noel

I am confused by your math [do you still dispense drugs for a living?] You asked for a 1:24 scale headlight, and then post that a Trackside Details light in 1:22 is too small. A 1:22 THING is about 9 percent LARGER than the same THING in 1:24. So me thinks that the 1:22 Trackside part should work fine. As Jason reported, I ddon't have the part you need.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim Trackside lists their headlight as 1:20.3 or 1:22. It bamfoozeled me. Fuzzy math. Thing is still too small. Anyhow thanks for pointing that out. Hartland has the perfect headlight but it is in Plastic....not good for a live steam smokebox eh? May have to scratch one.
N

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Try David Bailey at DJB Engr..I got two of them from David (lost Wax Casting) right around $20.00 They were 1/20 scale

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thaks to all for the hints and replies.
I am converting a live steam Accucraft DRG #278 C-16 to a DSP&P or DL&G engine circa 1890. The Accucraft 1:20 headlight is way too large and the trackside details is too small. Do not know what made me think a 1:24 would work. It would be smaller still. Brain bubble. The headlight that the UP installed on these engines when the controlled the railroad were unique. I have found that the Hartland light is the closest to the size I need but it is plastic. Not good for live steam. Need to find me a metal caster who would cast one up in brass. I no longer have access to the dental labs where I cast things. Rats! I could make a master in styrene and have Precision or mabey Trackside do it for me. Don't know the cost but it would be siginificant I bet. Maybe I can someone locally.
N

·
Registered
26 Posts
Using plastic parts for lost-wax castings can be successful but some of the fillers in some plastics are inert and will not burn out , so some method of removing them before pouring is advisable. I have had this problem with several Airfix kits that I have used in this way. Vacuum cleaner might work !
Last year I made several headight castings for John Hudak , he may have some left ! I am sure he won't mind me posting his email: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pete,
Yes I have your old headlight and it is on the Mason bogie. A tad too large, but will do for now. I am looking into other options.
Thanks
Noel

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Noel,
Why don't you scratch what you need? Some brass sheet and shapes and your soldering ability should yield just what you're looking for.
Have fun,
Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts