G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to build a brass railtruck/sedan delivery, and I plan to make it my first battery/RC project. I had planned to make nearly all of it out of brass, however, now I am wondering if I should make the roof out of wood in order to help my antenna reception.
I am obviously a complete novice at this, so any advice you might have will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Matt,

I believe you are correct, I remember reading somewhere in the R/C battery forum that there is a problem with the R/C systems in brass engines--your project would then have the same problem. Not sure if a wood roof would be adequate. You will need someone with more expertise in that area than I.

Looks like a great start on an interesting project. Just out of curiosity--how do you cut the brass sheet so accurately--I find brass "curls" or "warps" when I cut it with heavy sheers or tin snips.

Regards

The other Matt

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Not the best environment for radio signals. You will likely need to route the antenna of whatever system you use outside of the brass cab. The wood roof may help a bit. Those with goose experience will likely know the answers here.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it sounds like you two pretty much agree that, at minimum, I need to use wood for the roof. Bummer. Now I have to figure out how to attach wood to brass with a strong enough bond to warp it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Matt, Thanks for the comments. I cut the brass with a band saw, file and nibbler:

Take care,
The other Matt

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Posted By altterrain on 02/10/2009 1:11 AM
Have you thought about using simple battery power for this?
I use these - http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=383 with 11.1v Li-ion packs in my cirtters and they work great (and they're only $11 each assembled).

-Brian

Hey Brian,
Yes, I have thought about it. Maybe that would be more realistic. It doesn't sound like I should expect much reception, even if I do use wood for the roof.
I'd rather go R/C, but I'll definitely think more about straight power. Thanks for the link.
Hope to see you in York next month!

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Beautiful!

Maybe you want an external antenna like the bcubed. Um...

http://www.ecubedrc.com

http://www.microantenna.com

I have it on the back of a tender. This is the 27MHz antenna. If you use a higher frequency, like 75MHz, 900MHz or 2.4GHz, the antenna is much smaller.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I just finished one using one of Del's critter controls and so far it works great. If the snow ever melts I will give it a good run. His controlers work great.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Posted By altterrain on 02/10/2009 1:11 AM
Have you thought about using simple battery power for this?
I use these - http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=383 with 11.1v Li-ion packs in my cirtters and they work great (and they're only $11 each assembled).

-Brian

You certainly can't beat these things for the price. It has the same functionality as my "Simple Critter Control", except that mine works over 7-20V power range, will handle 5 amps, and it is much smaller and easier to mount & hide. In other words, it was specifically designed for use in large scale locos.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info, gents! It gives me some options to think about. I'm considering building a luggage rack on the roof out of non-metallic tubing, then sliding the antenna wire into it. Think that would work? Anyone have any ideas on stanchions? I might try looking at modifying queen posts...hmmm.

Del, are your Critter Controls made anywhere but communist China? I'm pretty sure the others would be.

Thanks again,
Matt

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By Matt Vogt on 02/10/2009 3:58 AM

Matt

I'll be there. Might we be seeing the new rail truck in the model contest?

-Brian

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Posted By Matt Vogt on 02/10/2009 10:20 AM

Del, are your Critter Controls made anywhere but communist China? I'm pretty sure the others would be.

Made in the good ol' USA by yours truly!

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Posted By altterrain on 02/10/2009 10:52 AM
Posted By Matt Vogt on 02/10/2009 3:58 AM

Matt

I'll be there. Might we be seeing the new rail truck in the model contest?

-Brian

I don't know about that...time is getting away from me way too fast!
Besides, this is only my second scratch built anything, and the first time I've ever worked with bras, so don't expect much.

Regardless, I will bring it with me, in case you want to see it.

Take care,

Matt

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Posted By Del Tapparo on 02/10/2009 11:02 AM

Made in the good ol' USA by yours truly!

Fantastic! You have a sale if I decide to go that way.

I'll probably get one soon anyway for something in the future

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts

SNIP

Thanks again,
Matt

RCS and EVO are "others" that are not made in Communist China.

They are made in Australia by yours truly.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Posted By TonyWalsham on 02/10/2009 6:45 PM

SNIP

Thanks again,
Matt

RCS and EVO are "others" that are not made in Communist China.

They are made in Australia by yours truly.

Sorry, Tony. I didn't mean 'others' in general. I meant the ones that we referred to earlier in the postings, which was an assumption I probably should not have made anyway. I have great respect for you not outsourcing your work.

Take care,
Matt

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Matt,

FYI - the Bakatronics kits are from Thailand (currently a monarchy though the country is run by the prime minister installed by military coup in 2006).

-Brian

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Posted By altterrain on 02/10/2009 10:24 PM
Matt,

FYI - the Bakatronics kits are from Thailand (currently a monarchy though the country is run by the prime minister installed by military coup in 2006).

-Brian

Thanks, Brian. Like I said, I should not have assumed. The old expression rings true about assuming...

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I have an additional comment about antennas. I have installed several AirWire receivers in brass engines. In each case, I extended the antenna wire and passed it through a hole in the chassis. The length left exposed was about 3 inches. It works fairly well. The range is not nearly as good as I get in plastic bodies but at lease it does work without a visible external antenna.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts