G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
223 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that is the sort of thing I got on my google search. What I am looking for is just a thin spring wire with a loop on each end that is set for the various sizes of tubing. The wire is approximately .020 or .030 of an inch in diameter.

· Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
223 Posts

· Registered
Aster JNR 8550 & Aristocraft live steam Mikado
36 Posts
Try modifying your search to "Single wire tube clamp" or "Spring wire tube clamps". The clips tom linked work well on glow fuel tubing which may or may not come in 5/16". My race bike runs 5/16" fuel line and I use this stuff.
SS Lock wire .021"

My Aster mogul used to have a strange version of those clamps with a machine screw I think... on the silicon tubing that runs methyl alcohol from the tank in the tender to the burner under the loco. Fiddly. Tiny leaks that only seemed to happen when it was running. weird issues with chicken feed system. Lock wired the connections and haven't had to use the fire bucket since. I think I may have lockwired one end of the butane line on my mikado too. Probably overkill for the mikado.

· Registered
Aster JNR 8550 & Aristocraft live steam Mikado
36 Posts
Yeah, Any mower/chainsaw shop should have those. They get loose, kinked, and warped easily if you use the wrong pliers or your fingers to remove or install them but they are cheap to replace.

· Super Modulator
22,721 Posts
The spring wire loop clamps work well on hoses and barbs, they wrap completely around the hose.

Ty-raps / zip ties cannot conform perfectly to a curve, right at where the locking mechanism is. Perhaps really snugging them down might help, but it would seem undue and uneven force especially on a small diameter hose. Additionally can be removed easily and without damage to the hose.

Bicycle part Tool Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

Greg

· Premium Member
2,403 Posts
lotsasteam, I use em too. Tip is to solder a piece of wire around the pipe, slide the flexable tubing on and put the zip beyond the 'hump' in the tube. Doesn't have to be over tightened to distort the tubing, the seal is actually made under the hump and the tie keeps it from slipping off, never had a problem. Nice + they come in colors to match the tubing.
This one is holding a fitting that is feeding water into a boiler that has 40+lbs pressure.
Water Bicycle part Tool Auto part Cable

Wood Metal Cable Font Auto part

· Premium Member
2,403 Posts
lotsasteam: First hand knowledge trumps conjecture every time, just got to be aware of all the facets of what you are doing. Trial and error are the best teacher, as the present project I am working is showing me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts