G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one installed a NCE decoder in a USA trains SD40? What is needed to make the number board lights work? I have everything else hooked up but those so need to know how to do. Thanks. Later RJD

·
Super Modulator
22,356 Posts
Visit my page on the SD40-2 on my web site... It will probably be in the top 10 recently modified pages, but also TRAINS...MOTIVE POWER...USA TRAINS... then look for the SD40-2 section, we worked on it today, almost done, but I blew up the headlights! RJ is replacing with LEDs anyway...

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Hi greg
What is the track voltage you get from your NCE booster. I read your web site and you seem to say that you have 24 volts rms on the track . Is this from the NcE booster with the voltage turned up or do you use some other system.

·
Super Modulator
22,356 Posts
Yes, 24v RMS measured by RampMeter (Tony's Trains).

Special modification by NCE, most NCE 10 amp boosters top out at 20.1 to 20.3 volts (by my experience).

Larry at NCE did the mods for me on my two boosters. Makes a big difference in top speed. Otherwise passenger locos had top speed of 62-65 smph... just a little low... don't always run that fast, but the protoype could hit over 100.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,356 Posts
I'm not sure what "reasonable price" means

Forgetting price, I don't know of any booster available in the US that puts out over 22 volts, I think the LGB MTS booster does this voltage.

I am very happy with the NCE equipment, and the modification to produce 24 volts was very inexpensive. I'm not aware of any other DCC manufacturer that would do this for you.

If you want to be in this "arena" you need to be somewhat careful, since you are running at the max NMRA voltage, and not all decoder manufacturers meet NMRA specs. For example the Bachmann 3 truck shay with the "Quasinami" will not run over 21 volts...

The upshot is that if you want to get every last bit of performance, and you need to get prototype top speeds on any loco (this is my situation), the last thing you want to ask about is cost.

Reliability, compatibility, support, quality is where you want to be.

(anyway you only buy one control system, you several locos)

Regards, Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.