G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Missed the first time through the show was the Kadee electricaly activated couplers for Large Scale. The prototype is here and the eventual product due out at the end of the year will be based on the 830.

They have an RC system that can control individual couplers and turnouts. You can also activate the couplers using most any control system.

Below is a link to the Bear

http://www.moloco.biz/html/gypsy_2.html

Its larger then their first Gypsy locomotive.

Both the basic and extended socket look the same as they both have two rows of pins. The basic socket only uses the first rows of pins. AristoCraft has been using this socket for years and it is in most of their locomotives. The extended socket defines the purpose of both rows of pins and is being used by Bachmann in its K27 and the reciently anounced mallet.

The ESU sound decoder is built to work on both the basic or the extended sockets.

It appears that Dave is a little confused so perhaps I can assist. The basic and extended Large Scale socket is designed for the larger locomotives whick draw more current. For lower current applications there are a variety of other well defined and widely used standardized options.

http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/standards_rps/RP-9.1.1 2008.01.pdf

Bachmann is using the standard NMRA 8 pin socket in their newly anounced caboose and their Gas Mechanical. They use the same 8 pin socket in most of their ON30 and many HO scale models.

More later

Stan

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Posted By StanleyAmes on 07/18/2008 2:29 PM
Bachmann is using the standard NMRA 8 pin socket in their newly anounced caboose and their Gas Mechanical. They use the same 8 pin socket in most of their ON30 and many HO scale models.
More later
Stan

Not confused at all.
Like I said, an nmra 1 amp H0 decoder socket.
The Standards Committe Working Group doesn't appear to have had that option run past them.

How many more sockets do you intend to introduce to keep the smaller manufacturers hopping to produce compatible items?

So much for a Universal Large Scale Socket.
It's now "Universal Large Scale Sockets, quantity unknown".Or, Universal Stanley's Electronic Large Engine Scale Sockets.

Fun to watch, anyway.
Getting empty boxes lined up now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dave

Strange, I was not aware that the 8 pin socket was an HO decoder socket. The 8 pin socket is one that is currently used in N scale, HO scale S Scale, O Scale and Large Scale. There are several control systems that have used this widespread used interface. The NMRA and the industry approved this use long ago. No need to reinvent the wheel.

What do you say we get this thread back to lthe NMRA National show and what is being shown here. If you have concerns on the electronics perhaps a different thread would be in order.

Stan

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Did anyone get to the Airwire booth? I'm curious if they were showing anything new. There are supposed to be some new items on the way.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Stanley Ames: Missed the first time through the show was the Kadee electricaly activated couplers for Large Scale. The prototype is here and the eventual product due out at the end of the year will be based on the 830. They have an RC system that can control individual couplers and turnouts. You can also activate the couplers using most any control system.

The electrically activated couplers were not working, (some type of interference problem), and they are not yet ready for release. These are not going to be simple "swap the coupler" change overs. It is going to require installing a servo motor in the car with linkage rods from the servo to the couplers and will also require battery power or track power pick-ups to power the servos.

Paul Burch: Did anyone get to the Airwire booth? I'm curious if they were showing anything new. There are supposed to be some new items on the way.

My friend talked to the folks at Airwire (CVP). They are coming up with a way to control a turnout with their hand-held controllers. They told him it was going to run about $50. per switch.

John

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Posted By jlyans on 07/19/2008 11:21 PM
Stanley Ames: Missed the first time through the show was the Kadee electricaly activated couplers for Large Scale. The prototype is here and the eventual product due out at the end of the year will be based on the 830. They have an RC system that can control individual couplers and turnouts. You can also activate the couplers using most any control system.

The electrically activated couplers were not working, (some type of interference problem), and they are not yet ready for release. These are not going to be simple "swap the coupler" change overs. It is going to require installing a servo motor in the car with linkage rods from the servo to the couplers and will also require battery power or track power pick-ups to power the servos.
Paul Burch: Did anyone get to the Airwire booth? I'm curious if they were showing anything new. There are supposed to be some new items on the way.

My friend talked to the folks at Airwire (CVP). They are coming up with a way to control a turnout with their hand-held controllers. They told him it was going to run about $50. per switch.
John

Been there, done all of that already.

Next please???

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Gary,
Thanks for the report. I was hoping the Airwire people would be previewing their other things that are coming. Patients I guess.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Some photos from the NMRA show if they come through.

The Brass Gypsy

On30 4-6-0

On30 motorcar and trailer

Side angle On30 motorcar and trailer

1:20.3 F scale Davenport

Davenport

Kids and trains

1:20.3 F scale Caboose

1:20.3 F scale Mallet

If this works there should be a few more toys to play with.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Posted By Bodie Bailey on 07/20/2008 10:55 PM
test

test failed.
Try Again.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts