G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This is just a reminder that the NMRA convention in Anaheim California. It is open to the public and it will last most of the week with tours. All scales will be there from Z to large scale.

I have a personal interest, part of the tours during the week will take people all over Southern California area.
One of the tours will take you to the Athearn factory and to Alpine Division Scale Models. Alpine Division Scale Models is where I have my large scale set up. If any of you remember my story about the large display I built for a store years ago. Well this is were it is and its up and running with a newly built section. I will be there during the tour so if your in the area and take the tour come by and we'll have a talk.
Here is a link to the tours.
http://www.nmra.org/2008/Prototours/Prototours.htm

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Not an NMRA member, but I am hoping to make it to the National Train Show on the 19th or the 20th

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Vic
please take some photos and post us a report .... I'm interested to see if any LS stuff is there. Model contest etc.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I arrive Tuesday for the week and will be showing the latest combined DCC/RC/Battery/Track technology during two clinics.

Stan

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the specific dates for the Athearn- Alpine tours Monday and Tuesday Afternoon July 14 and 15.

I hope somebody comes by I built this layout for the public to enjoy. The last few years only the employees at Alpine Division Scale Models have been able to see it.

Since I have been out of work this has been the only train work I have been able to do. That is one of the reasons I have been scarce around here. Still trying to start up my own business.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Ah, yes, look who will be there.
Wonder if he gets to announce the Davenport, the high-side gondola, and the caboose?

Hey, Greg, better get your team together again.
Maybe you can correct a few dozen more misconceptions.

Notice those were two distinct paragraphs, without any correlation to each other.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
David,be good some.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Now Dave, be nice. Let's wait and see what will show at the convention! I, for one, am curious what will be shown as "latest" in r/c battery technology! Afterward, I'm sure that there will be lively discussion! ;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Posted By Steve Stockham on 07/07/2008 7:21 PM
Now Dave, be nice. Let's wait and see what will show at the convention! I, for one, am curious what will be shown as "latest" in r/c battery technology! Afterward, I'm sure that there will be lively discussion! ;)" border=0>

If that person is involved, I am not curious.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dave

The NMRA National is a great place to exchange ideas. Large Scale and Narrow Gauge are both very much present.

I expect whatever is anounced at the convention will show up on this forum as is the custom of other large scale gatherings.

In September the Narrow Gauge convention is in Portland which is not so far from you. Perhaps this is a good time to see what progress can be made.

Stan

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Mayhaps.

However, what we have in print does appear to have been true.

Bachmann's paid consultant warned us the next issue out of the gate would most likely have a different socket, and if reports out of Japan are true, that is what has happened.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Since this is a local show for me, and is a national event(read lots of vendors and a huge hall) I signed up for a table or two. Should be interesting -large scale in a huge sea of HO and O scale.!!!

Jonathan/EMW

·
Registered
318 Posts
Spent the afternoon wondering the show floor.

There appear to be 5 items of interest for the large scale railroader. Not everthing was out yet so I may have missed something.

As expected Bachmann has its 3 new items promently displayed. The Gas Mechmanical, The Mallet, and the long caboose are all in the booth. The caboose is breaking some new ground and I was most impressed.

Not as well reported is that Missouri Locomotive Co has its Fn3 Bear on display and ESU has its DCC/Sound board for both the basic and extended socket as being used by AristoCraft and Bachmann.

Jonathan, CVP, Lenz and a few others have large scale as part of their displays. Marklin is also there and talking about LGB but all I saw in their booth to date was their HO product line.

So while the show is small from a Large Scale perspective, there appears to be quite a few items of interest to our community.

Stan Ames
www.tttrains.com/llargescale

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Posted By StanleyAmes on 07/17/2008 9:29 PM
Not as well reported is that Missouri Locomotive Co has its Fn3 Bear on display and ESU has its DCC/Sound board for both the basic and extended socket as being used by AristoCraft and Bachmann.
Stan Ames

So, where can we learn about the specs for the "basic" and "extended" sockets?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Posted By Del Tapparo on 07/17/2008 9:48 PM
Posted By StanleyAmes on 07/17/2008 9:29 PM
Stan Ames

So, where can we learn about the specs for the "basic" and "extended" sockets?

Del- That's the problem.
This was supposed to be a standard developed by the nmra standards committee working group, but if you were to pick up the phone and call anyone ON that working group, and ask them about the inclusion of the 8-pin socket, you would get a "huh?".

Granted, it appears someone yanked the 8-pin, one-amp H0 decoder socket from the files and planted it, but unless you are part of the "select group", the actual data will have to be waited for.

I recall folks who had to sort out the "With Integrated Production Electronics" part to figure out how to make it work.

Recent communications have indicated that the inclusion of all the extra electronics on the "dumbie" board do not appear to have been run through said working group.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
"What's an Fn3 Bear?"

Its a model of Bear Harbor #1, and I have never been so sad to be so poor as this is one of the locomotives that tempted me back into model railroading in the first place, but at again close to $800, its way out of my budget. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

1 - 20 of 31 Posts