G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Professional photographer and accomplished train modeller, Ferdinand Mels, was by the other weekend. Lucky me. You're welcome to peruse the full page of shots I've added to my web site.

Note: Select 2008 from the pulldown menu on the right.

http://home.cogeco.ca/%7Edaisybeach/

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Pete, those are awesome pics of a great little railway!!! The layout is one of the most detailed outdoor layouts I've seen. Thanks for sharing the pics :)

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Absolutely wonderful, Pete. For the humor alone, I strongly encourage everyone to visit your website and the set of photos documenting the construction of the railroad. I felt a sense of kinship the moment I read, "Using the 'extensive knowledge' I gained from building and maintaining my first, unmitigated failure of a garden railway . . . "

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
That is neat, quite an eclectic collection of locos-you build them all? What wheels did you use for the front trucks on the rail truck? I have a 1/18 plastic kit I may get to this winter to make a rail truck. Like the way your RR blends in so nice with the garden. Good water features also. I like a lush garden railroad. Our expansion area is almost totally grown in to match the older area.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Your railway is fantastic :) Those ground throws take the cake though :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very very much, all. I believe there's room for everyone in the hobby, and it's nice to know that includes layouts like mine.

Jerry - I built or bashed all the locos and rolling stock. The railtruck is a work in progress in need of more detailing. It usually takes me years to "finish" a loco. The front wheels are LGB plastic spoked.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Pete, Absolutely fantastic, and inspiring as always! You really need to write your railroad up for Garden Railways. Is the water feature now permanent, or still just using rainwater? I noticed what looks like a rather tall waterfall on the far left of the panoramic shot, but couldn't see it in enough detail to tell what was feeding the stream. Keep the photos coming--they inspire me to get out and work on mine.

Later,

K

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again, guys.

Yes, EBT, the stream definitely runs when it rains, but I can also run it from the rain barrel, and with a little help from city water if necessary. Mostly, it's dry.

The tall waterfall you mention would be water cascading out of the overflow tube (lower valve turned off) which produces the nicest sound, as it turns out.

Here's a diagram I did a while back.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
You have a built a wonderful railway, Pete. I really enjoyed your web site as well. And the "new" photographs are really excellent. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Pete

Always enjoy looking at your railway. When I fiorst stubmled upon your site you were just building it and what a transformation after it all grew in. It would be nice to have a list of plants you used since you are in a colder climate it would witk well for most of us up north. Some of the small shrubs are real sweet.

Keep the photos coming....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you. This winter I plan to create a section on my web site just for plants. Over the years, I have kept (and photographed) all the little plastic inserts that come with plants and intend to match them with photos and descriptions. It's true, I guess, that I have learned a bit about perrenials (the hard way).

G

·
0 Posts
Oh yeah now I remember the photos from 7/8s scale board I was on.
Still looking good Ole Chap. They ran me off from there cause I was G Gauge! Funny ain't it.
Toad

1 - 20 of 29 Posts