G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Looking very good Jerry Its good you planned for double track on the track base, even if you don't use it. It took me about ten years before I doubled mine. But as the base was planned for it it was a breeze. Those are spectacular bridges you installed. Will you make a yard or terminal?

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
All the block work is done. Just one more 14 ton load of dirt. Comes to a total of 56 tons. Once that dirt is in and some rocks I will start laying track. You can see the bridges from my old layout were incorperated. I have been buying plants since we moved here in April, knowing that many would not be obtainable by the time the layout was ready. Most are doing okay.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Got some rocks locally and he helped me load and put them in the layout. Those local Facebook for sale forums are pretty neat to find/sell stuff.

This north end is mostly done, got pretty hot here in Kansas, so on the south end we just stacked them on the blocks and I'll get to them. Was tired I'll tell you! Raining like crazy today, so will stay inside. Mulch is next, as you can see, then the plants I've been babying since spring. Gravel path around the layout then and then grass this fall.

The mud is worse today, after hours of rain.

You can see the south end just has rocks tossed on.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Looking good Jerry. I like stacking rocks, if you don't like the first batch you can always redo them. I have a lot of stacked rocks that have mostly stayed in place over many winters.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks Winn. Rained again yesterday, 2.5" IF it ever dries out some I will get some gravel for a path around the layout so I can get some more work done. Need to get plants in the ground, got them in the spring and some are not looking too good. Then mulch, then track! Getting antsy I'll tell you! Probably be running with a parka one.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Rain continues to slow me down. I want to get the dirt/rocks/mulch and then the plants in before laying track so I don't have to be wary of stepping on it. There was one day that there was no rain and was cool so I got a pickup load of gravel to lay down a path around it. I used my trailer and lawnmower to move the gravel from the pickup to the layout-MANY times. Does not look like much but I was beat.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Now you can get to it without sinking in the mud. Lots of work... It'll all pay off in the end. It's looking good! For me I'm at the point of either raised bed or on the ground. And yours is helping me decide I'm think raised bed layout for sure.

Jason

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
My son was a big help getting the dirt in the south end set up for the mulch and then getting that laid. Now starting to lay track, but of course it is raining. Was a drought here when I started this, been raining ever since. Track will be on top of the blocks. An inner loop layer will be done later.

·
Vendor
3,324 Posts
Hi Jerry..... From watching your radar for the past few days, it's a good thing that you put the bridge over dry wash. I can imagine that it could be a rushing river with all the rain you've had. Just talked with Phil Jensen and he said he was expecting 3 more inches today...

Not too good for cutting corn, either.. :cool:

Get out the boat.. :cool::p:eek:;)

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yeah, seemed the rain started when the railroad did. Got down a lot of track today, brought it with me. Just the S end left for tomorrow, if it does not rain! Cool and cloudy today and will be for a few more, so hope to have the main line in, then will stop and run trains for awhile before doing the sidings and inside loop. Should keep me busy, which is the idea.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Track is all done on the main line on top of the blocks. Putting in some buildings and a few more trees. Keeping it pretty simple with the mulch. Not planning on covering it with plants as my old layout was. I like that look, but my body does not.

Hardibacker board for the buildings to sit on. Need to run the wiring to the buildings, have a few more to upgrade the lights/window yet.

MTH Big Boy makes a run. The LGB thing helps to get the centipede tender on easily.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts