G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rolled my new UP Pacific with Vandy tender out of the paint shop. 2861 ran in Nebraska and was noted as being one of the fastest Pacifics that the UP had. Stan Cedarleaf did the excellent decals. Note the light has the #'s on it also.

Tender View:

Full side view:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Jerry, that is a good looking engine. Nice work and if it is the new version drive it should be a good runner for your passenger service. Jake

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Very handsome. Also, want to let you know how much I like your layout. The films on youtube are great!

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well done Jerry. I guess you finally figured how to remove the shell.
No dirt needed passenger loco's and cars need to be nice and clean to impress he customers. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Nice paint job, Jerry!

I like how all the bearing caps are painted silver! Gives it a good look. Did you paint the drive wheels as well? I like the vandy tender with the pacific. Did you install sound? How about a side by side with your K4?!

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RJ I never could figure out how to get the smokebox shell off, got the boiler off, then just taped/covered up everything else, worked out fine. Yep, I painted the silver parts on the bearing caps and the front wheels. No painting on the drive wheels. No sound yet, since the QSI can not be triggered via the TE I am still thinking. No K4 here, somebody else I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Sorry Jerry! For a second I got you mixed up with another guy..

Are you thinking of centering the headlight?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice weather today, so hooked up some cars to the Pacific to give it a chance to earn some money. Did fine, had not cleaned the track since last week sometime and it just sailed around with no hesitation or problems. That was a nice surprise. Here's a shot of it going over the bridge.

By the siding on the west side.

Trying to upload a video of the run, but have not had much success. Seems awful slow, not sure why.

G

·
0 Posts
Jerry,
It looks great, WOW the tender is almost as big as the engine...one question, why are the bearing caps silver? was that the way they were painted on UP engines.
Nick

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's real sharp Jerry. Thanks for posting.

The prototype pic, is that boxpok drivers on the 2nd axle? I love boxpoks...has anyone had a go at creating/fitting boxpoks on a G engine?

·
Super Modulator
20,511 Posts
Jerry if you were ambitious, and were willing to spend the money for an Aristo accessory controller and a few more parts, I could show you how to ring the bell and blow the whistle on the QSI from your TE...

I'm assuming it's trackside?

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
20,511 Posts
An accessory receiver, in the garage, with a DPDT relay to reverse the track polarity, hooked to a latched output would make the whistle/horn functional.

Reverse the polarity of the power to the track while the QSI is moving and it does not change direction, it starts or stops the horn/whistle.

Now to ring the bell, you need a short reverse and back. That can be done with a relay and a 555 timer. Hook that up to a momentary output on the receiver.

Regards, Greg

I have not built one myself yet, but very simple to do.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having a good smoking loco is pretty new to me, but I got track power going again on the outer loop and my new Pacific has smoke, so thought I'd try it out. Worked pretty good, even in the windy conditions we had today. Was a bit better the other evening, when it was pretty calm, but I didn't drag out the camera. Here it is runding the south end.

And across the new bridge. This was the first time it pulled my home-made streamliner cars.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts